Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard you have to move stored bars with honey closer to the cluster because in top bar hives, cluster doesn't move and that it says on one end of the hive.(Mine is always at the front.)Is this true or :no:? Can someone explain to me just a little bit better or give me an idea :scratch:?
Thanks.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I am not sure, but it sounds like there is some confusion amongst your source(s) of information, as far as bees not moving in horizontal hives. As I have always understood it, the cluster will move sideways while consuming honey. There is an issue, however, that if the bees reach either end of the hive, they will not turn around and move back toward the other end even if there are considerable stores at the other end of the hive. So, basically, if the bee cluster starts off the winter in the center of the hive, they may work their way to the front or the back and then possibly starve even if there are still stores at the other end. Instead of moving the honey, it is best to move the cluster to one end or the other in the late fall. That way, there will hopefully be enough stores to last the entire winter without them reaching the other end. If your bees are at the front right now and there are stores at the back, you should move the stores so that they are right next to the cluster, if you can. Good luck!

Chris

www.thewarrestore.com

·
Registered
177 Posts
I can’t explain but I can give you an idea. This is just my take on the subject and how I behave. Bees know what to do! Once set up in the hive and allowed as much as possible to act like bees they should be fine. Nobody is moving honey around in feral hives and the bees seem to find it. If bees are deficient in some way and can’t find their own stores then nature will let them die. Another colony will find the now available stores and take them for their own. Again nature’s way of working things out. Bees have lived naturally for millions of years… a record that far exceeds man. Only since man started making them into farm animals have they suffered so. Beekeeping philosophy ranges from Super bees breed to do what I want, that I must feed and treat and manipulate to my every desire; to putting my feral bees in a box and leaving them alone as much as possible. You will have to find your comfort zone, develop your own philosophy and apply those principles to your very own method of beekeeping.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts