Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After I harvest this year going to have 15 or so supers. Looking to build some easy (key is easy) set up set-up for storing my supers.

Anybody have any pics or designs they can share?

I want to build somthing that sits outside, allows light into the supers but still covered.

thanks

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Stack them 7 high on a drip board and cover with a Plexiglas cover. Cheap and you can put them anywhere you want.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I seen a picture a few mths ago that was using concrete blocks and 2" inch pvc pipe for rails! There was a roof as well! If i come across the link i will add it on here! Unfortunitely i dont have the problem of having to store used extracted supers this year but i do always think ahead. Who knows someday i might have empty extracted supers to store!..:lpf:

·
Registered
77 Posts
I just stack them with newspaper in between on a skid. Skid is for ease of moving if you have a forklift/pump truck.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I put'em back on the hives and let the bees clean'em up then stack them on a pallet and put them in the shop for storage. Might be double the work but I don't like to store them wet....

·
Registered
77 Posts
Putting them back on the hive sound's like a lot of work and if they are still bringing in nectar they might just put it up there! I just put them in a trailer/cart/wheelbarrow and leave them beside the hive until they have them cleaned up. Seem's to work pretty good and then when the bee's are done with it, just wheel it back to wherever you are storing them

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
You can spray the combs with BT to take care of wax moths.

Put a bottom board on the ground/pallet/hive stand. Put a metal queen excluder on the bottom board. Stack supers on it. Put plexiglass lid on top of stack.

The excluder prevents mice from getting into the supers.

·
Registered
118 Posts
If you let them freeze, that will take care of any wax moth. I put a telescoping cover metal-side down, stack the boxes, then top with another telescoping cover. Or I put them back on the hives above an inner cover. That lets the bees "rob" them out, but they won't move up there.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

I just rememberd and here is an image of what I was thinking. It's from one of the books "backyard beekeeper". My thought is to put something together, then after harvest just stick the supers on the rack. I'll put the rack out back where the bees will find it. The bees will clean up so I don't have to put back on the hives. Then since this arragement gets a lot of light and air, no worries about wax moths.

I have some steel sheets, pipe and blocks around here so this would be easy to build. However the supers are not stored level, so not sure I want this exact arragement as i like wood and wax to be stored level.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/sH6g5PLyMtjyii9ED6yMxg?feat=directlink

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
open "robbing/cleaning" of supers results in major damage to combs and wholesale robbing around my italian mutts.
good luck,mike

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
"... freeze, that will take care of any wax moth..."
but only the ones in the supers AT THAT TIME. they can,and will, return-here in ky.
good luck,mike

1 - 20 of 22 Posts