Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what is the best way of storing frames of capped honey (from dead outs that I'm waiting to feed packages that are not here yet)? I do not have the resources to be able to freeze all the frames I have. Should I store them in clean trash bags? Or should I store them in hive bodies with the tops and bottoms closed off? It's going to be another month until the packages arrive and I don't want other bugs/mice ect. To get to them, but I'm concerned of molding if I have the closed off too much. Any thoughts are appriciated, thanks!

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
I have got three boxes of comb and honey sitting in my office kitchen that has been there since October of 2013. I did not harvest the honey both because of lack of time and because two other hives were light in October. I have an eye on Tuesday when we hit the 50's where I can go into the hives see what survived and put honey into those hives that survived if any. I am not suggesting anyone does this because it goes against all experienced recommendations. Keep in mind that at this time most dead outs in Pa have already gone though a freeze cycle. Heck in FL it could be true this year.

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
I doubt that wax moths have made much of an appearance so far this year in PA. I would make up your brood nests and drop them into a leaf bag in the garage and tie it tight shut. Then you are ready when your bees come. Are the boxes and combs really wet? Stand them on end in your garage and blow a fan thru them to dry them out and then bag them.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
If you have any live hives the best place to store supers containing honey is on those hives.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts