Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got 9 hives about 100 yards away from my new pool. The hives have a natural lake closer to them, than the pool so never thought they would be using the pool – but they are. Not sure if it is the salt / chlorine or whatever, but the bees have taken over the pool. It's a new pool, and did not notice anything initialy, but after a few big rains, they were all over it. Too many for people to use the pool (100's of bees).

I have a bit of that liquid smoke that the bee supply places sell it, but I think it is the same stuff you can buy at the grocery store. Two tablespoons of liquid smoke in a quart of water in a hand sprayer.

I am spraying all areas where the bees land and it looks like it is working. I'm only the first day into this, and yes my pool now smells like a BBQ, but that’s temporary, and the bees are trying to land but move on.

Also putting out some chicken water-ers (filled with pool water) closer to the bees than the pool. The idea is to re-train the bees away from the pool and use the water-ers.

I know the current group of water foragers is in love with my pool, but I think once I get them re-trained away from my pool, to the other sources.

Any clue on how long it takes to re-train foragers?

Also I'm up for more suggestions, if I can't retrain the foragers, then I'll have to go more aggresssive.

·
Registered
281 Posts
put water from your pool in the feeders and spray around them on the ground and in the air with lemon pledge.. sounds foolish i know but i did this and the bees were finding the new sources with in minutes.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I put a bird bath and a chicken waterer close to our hives and put a little Honey bee healthy with the water. They have found both water sources and so far haven't went to our pool yet this year.

·
Registered
180 Posts
We work swimming pool-nuisance bee calls in the summer here in Florida, and have found covering the pool for 3 days is usually sufficient for the foragers to find another source. Adding alternate sources of water seems to be hit-or-miss for me, and i've tried HBH, organic matter, chlorine, salt, etc.

I'd sure like to find a non-toxic repellant that could be added to pool water, maybe added as a drip?

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I had a mess of nucs next to my pool. I moved them last night about 150 yards away. Well dummy me, they came en-masse today to where the nucs were. I forgot that you need to move them at least 3 miles away. When they were next to the pool they never bothered us, must be all the lakes (and neighbors pools) around us.

Kingfisher:lpf:

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I have a bit of that liquid smoke that the bee supply places sell it, but I think it is the same stuff you can buy at the grocery store. Two tablespoons of liquid smoke in a quart of water in a hand sprayer.
I am spraying all areas where the bees land and it looks like it is working. I'm only the first day into this, and yes my pool now smells like a BBQ, but that’s temporary, and the bees are trying to land but move on.
But now you will be attracting hoards of ...???...to the pool if it smells like a BBQ?

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
try putting bee-go into the pool :)

just to be clear, i'm kidding.

deknow

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh yea, the local ******** are already swarming, especialy the appalachian trail sub breed. For ******* BBQ makes a great swarm lure, along with Bush beer.

The trouble with swarms of ******** is like the bees once they find a good source of nector (or beer) they are just about impossible to get ride off.

My solution for ******** is bary manalow music with spinish quiche appitizers, just hope this liquid smoke works for the bees. Seems to be working, I'll give a report in a few days.

I also thru a chunk of deer salt lick in a large mud puddle (8foot x2feet deep) that is 5 yards from the hive, they may be after minerals more than the water. Got the chick water-ers out, with some HBH in it (filled with pool water) - we will see

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
oh yea, the local ******** are already swarming, especialy the appalachian trail sub breed. For ******* BBQ makes a great swarm lure, along with Bush beer.
The trouble with swarms of ******** is like the bees once they find a good source of nector (or beer) they are just about impossible to get ride off.
My solution for ******** is bary manalow music with spinish quiche appitizers..
OMG. :lpf:

If they prove resistant, try playing some hard core Vivaldi and serving kombucha tea and any food with tofu in it. Remove all Bush nectar and meat items from the area.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts