Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
....:doh: when will that be? They have been dilly dallying around with syrup at maybe a quart per week and then..suddenly, they are consuming a 1 quart feeder in less than a day. I have a gallon frame feeder...is it time for that?
Bee package installed April 8. Second deep put on May 8.
Thank you,
Clark:s

·
Registered
118 Posts
One of my new hives is doing the exact same thing. I have been told to stop feeding when they stop taking it. I have been told stop feeding when they draw out 70% of the second deep. I have been told to stop feeding them now from a local bee keeper. I have no idea when to stop. The hive that is taking syrup like crazy has a bunch of new bees coming out, so I think that is why they are taking it now.

I use a hive top from Kelly with 4 inverted quart jars. I get good ventilation and I see no harm in continueing to feed so I will keep feeding until the colony is two deeps full and rolling along really good.

·
Registered
670 Posts
It won't hurt to continue feeding since you just added the second deep brood chamber. Often, as the honey flow progresses, the bees won't take syrup because they prefer the real thing - nectar. Since your efforts right now are not to make honey but rather to build up your second story brood chamber...its ok to continue feeding. When the second story foundation gets about drawn out...you will want to back off the syrup...especially if you add a honey super on top of the second story...you don't want syrup in your honey super.

·
Registered
125 Posts
What is the problem with syrup in the honey supers?
I think they'll store some of the syrup in the super and you'll end up with diluted honey. Yes the newly hatching brood may up their appetite for syrup as they all of a sudden have many more mouths to feed. Basically they'll self regulate how much sugar syrup they take in and as Fred Bee said this will slowdown when there is a good flow of nectar around. Have you checked their stores of nectar and honey around the brood? If they have a adequate amount of capped honey maybe you have sugar greedy bees.:D

·
Registered
670 Posts
Jeff,
You want to have real honey in the honey supers you intend to harvest...not sugar syrup.

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
I hate to harvest sugar water and naturally, don't want any medication that I may have added to be in my honey harvest. Fred Bee is right. Feed them as they build up. Often, they'll stop taking it on their own and often, you can stop once you get to the point of adding a super.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
....:doh: when will that be? They have been dilly dallying around with syrup at maybe a quart per week and then..suddenly, they are consuming a 1 quart feeder in less than a day. I have a gallon frame feeder...is it time for that?
Bee package installed April 8. Second deep put on May 8.
Thank you,
Clark:s
A question might be, "Why are you feeding them? To what purpose?" If you are trying to get them to draw comb, I'd feed them until they stop taking it OR when the nectar flow seems to have started. If they are storing it you don't want that in your honey supers.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone, this is my first colony and i want it big and strong. New package arrives next week for hive 2.
Clark

·
Registered
670 Posts
Clark...I know you are excited to have your second package coming in. If you are installing them on foundation and they need to draw comb...go ahead and feed them. They may prefer nectar over sugar syrup...and right now there is a nectar flow on in Tennessee, but your goal is to build up your hives and get foundation drawn. It may be next season before you are able to harvest honey so for now...I would think your goal is to get the foundation drawn into combs and get your brood/food chambers built up. Best of luck with hive number 2. A lot of us here have bee fever...so we know of your glee in getting your bees well established.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Fred Bee,
You are right, they do need to draw comb. The first hive has the second deep over half full and I removed two outside frames to install the gallon syrup feeder. I topped it off Saturday and by Sunday noon they had consumed over half of it. If they keep this up the 2nd deep will be full by Memorial day. Wouldn't that be a good time to pull the feeder and add the first honey super? This entire cycle has happened so fast I am having difficulty understanding. The term "busy bee" takes on a whole new meaning.

My package for hive two will arrive late this week and I understand they may not have time to progress as far as the first package so I am expecting to pour the syrup to them as well and watch them build away for wintertime stores.

The third hive is strategically placed to hopefully capture a swarm from my neighbor's house. Bees are embedded and they swarm almost every year.
They are too high (for me) for a tear out or cut out and the bees don't harm anything...I just told him not to poison or kill the bees, that would be big trouble.

Words of wisdom are always welcome.
Clark

1 - 11 of 11 Posts