Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Moving one of my hives is such a pain in the ass, I can't even imagine what stealing $200,000 worth of hives even looks like. The article even mentioned a case where someone stole over a million's worth. How do you do something like that without heavy equipment?

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Moving one of my hives is such a pain in the ass, I can't even imagine what stealing $200,000 worth of hives even looks like. The article even mentioned a case where someone stole over a million's worth. How do you do something like that without heavy equipment?
You don't.
Those who steal bees are fine commercial beeks themselves and have the equipment and the know-how and the business plans how to use the stolen bees.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Like they just roll up with a flat bed and a forklift and off they go?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I had someone come in and steal 20 hives and 100+ super from one of my yards with in the last 2 weeks. The yards was only two miles away from the shop. I called the sheriff and he give me a case #. I called the land owner and she told me the wood had sold. Been trying to get ahold of the new land owner and they won't return any of my calls. They closed on the wood on 6-2-2020 and the bees was gone by 6-13-2020. 40 some years and haven't had anything like this happen before.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
I had someone come in and steal 20 hives and 100+ super from one of my yards with in the last 2 weeks. The yards was only two miles away from the shop. I called the sheriff and he give me a case #. I called the land owner and she told me the wood had sold. Been trying to get ahold of the new land owner and they won't return any of my calls. They closed on the wood on 6-2-2020 and the bees was gone by 6-13-2020. 40 some years and haven't had anything like this happen before.
did you have a deal in writing? maybe the new owner did not know whos bees they were, more likely they leaked the deal and worked a gig out with someone at the max confuzion time. Could file a small claims court deal , or lawyer up.

Odd indeed Is the original owner still alive and reachable, I would think in the closing documents the new owner is listed to be server.

GG

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Like they just roll up with a flat bed and a forklift and off they go?
Exactly what they do.

No one serious in this business is monkeying about moving hives by hand one-by-one on a back seat.
:)

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Exactly what they do.

No one serious in this business is monkeying about moving hives by hand one-by-one on a back seat.
:)
Middle of the night, likely full moon, clear. In and out in 30 min or less ,,time there increases detection. Toss a mesh over the lot of them, down the road to a pre determined place, out of the way, screened by trees etc. arrive pre dawn. do splits into their "own" painted boxes by noon, load those on a different truck the next night. truck one more stint the next night. Burn the original boxes and top and bottoms. Have the bees 100s of miles away in new wood with in 24 hours. May even use closed refer trucks to keep them out of sight.

They do not mess around in, out, done , next.

somewhat hidden trail cams can help to figure out what happened, get ones that work at night.
Imbed RFID chips in the comb , perhaps you will find it later.
Insurance
Locked gate.
Apiary in plain view of the land owner.

Not much else one can do. try to imbed Enough risk that they go to the next easier place.

they likely have been there several times to scope it out. so you may see cam pics pre raid.
hard to shut down with out so good info on the who in the operation.

GG

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
somewhat hidden trail cams can help.....
GG
In fact, a clear warning sign with "monitored by hidden cameras" just might keep someone away.
Good thing is that the hidden cameras are hard to find and hard to know if you ever found all of them.
Hard to know if they even exist or not.

One idea anyway.
Infrared cameras are cheap now days.
Wireless security systems are also cheap.
Really, with so much money invested, why would one try to save money on cheap electronic security now days.
Just do it I say if you are a commercial.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Grey Goose - Hmmmm... you seem to know WAyyyyy tooo much about how to steal hives.

Ron Householder: If the new owner sold them, talk to your lawyer about "Squatter's rights" We had a yard that changed ownership after 50 years, and the new owner made us sign-off on squatter's right. Never had a written agreement in 160 years.

Crazy Roland

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Grey Goose - Hmmmm... you seem to know WAyyyyy tooo much about how to steal hives.

Ron Householder: If the new owner sold them, talk to your lawyer about "Squatter's rights" We had a yard that changed ownership after 50 years, and the new owner made us sign-off on squatter's right. Never had a written agreement in 160 years.

Crazy Roland
Hi Roland,
To stop a thief , you need to think like a thief and look for the weak points.
gate , exposure, cameras.

:) that's my story and I am sticking to it.

·
Super Moderator
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you are thinking about placing cameras to protect property, you should check your state and local laws.
As ridiculous as it may sound, pictures and video are inadmissible as evidence in may states UNLESS the property or area is posted with signs that inform the crooks that the area is photo-monitored.
I don't know if it is true or just and "urban legend", but I have heard of property owners being sued by individuals that were filmed stealing property for defamation because the letter of the law was not followed in posting the required signs.
Check your state and local laws about what is required to utilize pictures or video as evidence.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts