Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 10lbs of honey that was extracted two years ago.
While I was processing it I noticed it had a funky smell. Once it was all bottled up it smelled worse, smells kind of like stinky feet.

I saved it , thinking I would just use it as feed.
I just opened it and sure enough it still smells like stinky feet.
I don't plan to take any honey from the hive I plan to feed it to this year as they are new.

My question is/are: Do you think its safe to feed them this honey or should I just toss it?

Any chance this stink could find it's way into next years honey That I plan to take?

Is this what fermented honey smells like?
It taste fine but nobody, including myself, wants to eat it because it smells more like toe jam then honey.

·
Registered
676 Posts
You're experiencing "Varietal Honey"!

Rather than the thin, simple sweet taste of Clover honey, you're experiencing the flavors and aromas of a honey that may contain large amounts of Goldenrod and Aster. It is FINE to eat. And, believe it or not, some of my honey customers PREFER it to other types of honey, due to it's unique "aroma" and flavors.

If you dislike it, your bees will take it back, provided that you're sure it's Foulbrood free. (Foulbrood, and the spread of other diseases, is the reason we don't feed store bought honey to bees.) Some beekeepers prefer to keep the early season honey for themselves, and allow their bees to store goldenrod, aster and other fall nectars for their own feed for the winter. This keeps the "stinky stuff" somewhere where it'll be appreciated -- with the bees.

Good luck,
DS

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
We get a lot of aster and goldenrod honey here (usually) and they never reminded me of stinky feet. That honor has always gone to Buckwheat.
Sheri

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Sell it on eBay with a reference for people with foot fetishes. :D I had some really nice looking honey and it didn't smell, but what an after taste! :eek: Someone told me that it was previt honey. Tulsa has a lot of previt hedges. I only got it one year, I personally think it was stagnate duck pond water.;)

·
Super Moderator
1,901 Posts
Queen for a day

My first guess is Queen Anns Lace.
Yep, Stinky gym shoes smell.
And after it chrystalizes and you heat it, it gets much worse.
:(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts