Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stinkin lousy moths ruined one of my hives. I went to one of my strongest hives which was flourishing a week or so ago and the bees are gone and in their place are moths. Die you moths die. I will take care of you this weekend. Watch for moths and don't get caught like I did. I am checking all hives this weekend to make sure they have not infested any of the other hives. Now I have 9 going into winter. Pife

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Ditto what fish stix wrote. There was something wrong w/ your colony, otherwise the bees would still be there. Wax moths exploit opportunity, such as weakness. Their intent, if we can use that word, is not to kill a colony of bees, it is to take advantage of the pollen that is available to them because a colony has died or dwindled to a degree to which they can not keep the moths out.

If you have any brood comb left untouched by the moth larvae I'd check for AFB scale. You probably have such a mess anyway, why don't you just burn the frames to be safe. Or send them to a landfill. If you can't burn where you live.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I put some SHB traps in all of the colonies today. I am now anxious to see what they tell me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts