Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've discovered two things today:

1. Geting stung in the arm pit really hurts! Yowza! I guess wearing just a veil and a T-shirt with the sleeves cut off is a little too minimalist with the gear.

2. I've begun to notice that when I get stung 2 or 3 times over the course of an hour or two in the beeyard, I am in an unusually good mood an hour later. Don't get me wrong, I don't try to get stung, it just happens every now and then. I really am starting to notice a correlation between getting stung and mood elevation. Anybody else experience this?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I've noticed that the more I'm stung the less painful it is and I have also noticed a slight mood elevation, nothing close to euphoria, just a sort of relaxed calm feeling.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My experience is like BeeGees. Most stings bother me less, they still hurt, it's just the pain is gone 20 or 30 seconds, and after I leave the beeyard I have a more relaxed, calm demeanor. It might be the stings or it might be the fact that this is a hobby I really enjoy, and I don't have many other outlets for stress so it strikes me as odd when I relax a bit.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Do you have arthritis, or other joint problems? Maybe the feeling is just what it feels like to not hurt..

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I banged my left hand knuckles on a sharp edge yesterday, drew blood, broke the skin, bruised it. 30 min. later got stung right there... My mood changed allright, but I wouldn't exactly call it elevated... :lpf: still a bit sore today.
But my arthritis is better!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Beestings dont put me in a good mood because I know what happens in 2-3 days. Yep the first day isn't so bad but by the 2-3rd day I swell something awful, if I get stung in the arm by the 3rd day I cant wear a watch, wedding ring, can't even grip a pencil. The first day isnt so bad and I am usually 75% better on the 4th day thats when my mood gets better :)

·
Registered
358 Posts
Beestings dont put me in a good mood because I know what happens in 2-3 days. Yep the first day isn't so bad but by the 2-3rd day I swell something awful, if I get stung in the arm by the 3rd day I cant wear a watch, wedding ring, can't even grip a pencil. The first day isnt so bad and I am usually 75% better on the 4th day thats when my mood gets better :)
Yep. Don't get much better than that.

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
Ever consider the possibility that getting stung was due to being in a bad mood?

If you go into the bee yard in a bad mood or a negative attitude, you tend to get stung. If you go into the bee yard with the right mindset, you don't seem to get stung as often. Getting stung may distract you from whatever had you in the bad attitude, and it allows you to get into the right mood for working bees.

Then again, you may just be experiencing an adrenaline rush from getting stung.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I tend to break out in song and dance after getting sting.Kinda like when I hit my thumb with a hammer. I try to hold the singin down when the wife is around but she giggles pretty good at the dancing. :D

·
Registered
219 Posts
Ok most painful sting I have received. Last summer I was down just watching the bees come and go. I had shorts and sandles on and a bee stung on the bottom side of the arch in my foot! I let out a yelp that I am sure they heard on the other side of town, and yes my mood definatly did a 180! Needless to say I no longer go near the bee's in sandles!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts