·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do I produce sting less honey bees?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
it would require less genetic modification and time to just keep bee-less boxes in the yard. :D

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Wouldn't that take all the fun out of beekeeping? Don't you look forward to a sting every now and then.
Seriously, they would be defenseless to all the world. They would not survive overnight with honey in their hive. Every thing would be after it, and be able to rob it out easily. Think about what you are saying!:doh:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Funny thing to mention. The man who was involved with releasing the africanized bees actually now works with stingless bees. :D

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
well lets hope he can keep the "stingless bees" under lock and key this time cause the AHB thing did not work out real well for the rest of us :doh:

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have mostly stingless bees now. There are about 60,000 bees in the hive and only two have stung me, so i assume the rest are stingless with the mistakes i have made.

Little john

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Welcome Little John,
Don't brag too quick. Last year I bragged about only being stung twice. They are making up for it this year. But maybe I'm sadistic I don't mind it that bad. It only hurts for a hour or two, and only swells for a couple of days.:D

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
I have mostly stingless bees now. There are about 60,000 bees in the hive and only two have stung me, so i assume the rest are stingless with the mistakes i have made.

Little john
Nope, only the two that stung you are stingless. :)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Yep, its probably best that they sting. Then they really would be on the endangered species list!

I have a Russian hive, and one of those babies finds a void in my shirt every time I swap their syrup jars! Ouch! They don't attack me either, its just one little soldier. Every time......

Rob

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Now that is specialization. "Alright Sandy, it's your turn to bother the Giant that keeps stealing our empty jar. He is most vulnerable under the arm pit."

·
Registered
28 Posts
I don't think you will be able to keep them unless you live below the tropic. They don't sting, but they do BITE!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stingless_bee
Being tropical, stingless bees are active all year round, although they are less active in cooler weather. Unlike other eusocial bees, they do not sting but will defend by biting if their nest is disturbed. In addition, a few (in the genus Oxytrigona) have mandibular secretions that cause painful blisters. Despite their lack of a sting, stingless bees, being eusocial, may have very large colonies made formidable by way of numerous defenders.

·
Registered
31 Posts
welcome little john,
don't brag too quick. Last year i bragged about only being stung twice. They are making up for it this year. But maybe i'm sadistic i don't mind it that bad. It only hurts for a hour or two, and only swells for a couple of days.:d
that's twice in a week, only in the hive twice. First was my fault, i accidentaly squashed her. Second was wild bee flew right out of hive and hit me dead center between the eyes. Don't use veil or suit. May start using veil.

Little john

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
She wasn't wild. I assure you she hit right where she was aiming.:D
I use pullover jacket w/veil if I' doing any thing other than feeding. Veil wouldn't be a bad idea even then.

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
You can find stingless bees here in Honduras. Sometimes they are called Royal Mayan Bees because of the important role they played in the Mayan culture. Usually they are called “white star bees” here because of the star-shaped structure they make around their entrance.

Unfortunately they aren´t as common as they once were—mainly to deforestation and the lack of large trees with hollows. I have always wanted one of my own but you don´t find them in the wild anymore. And if someone wants to sell theirs, they are asking way too much money. Hopefully someday.

Here are a couple photos of the hives of a guy who lives near one of my yards. He has several of these stingless bees. Notice the entrance and the guard bee. The bees keep the hole big enough to let just one bee in or out at a time. The guard bee keeps moving back and forth as it keeps an eye on things. People normally hang the tree trunk with the colony under the eaves of their house. Honey is horvest from either end of the trunk. There is a wooden plug that they cover with mud.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s313/Tomas_fotos/BlancosDonMajinOjodeAguaJan08008.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s313/Tomas_fotos/BlancosDonMajinOjodeAguaJan08003.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s313/Tomas_fotos/BlancosDonMajinOjodeAguaJan08001.jpg

They don´t make a lot of honey however; their average is probably less than a gallon per hive. But you can get a really good price for it; several times more than honey from the Africanized bees. People like this honey for medicinal purposes.

Here’s another link to an article about them.

http://www.beesfordevelopment.org/info/info/stingless/royal-mayan-bee.shtml

----------
Tom

1 - 20 of 21 Posts