Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Mainly T Carbonaria and T Hockingsi in my area.

Maybe you would like to join our Native Bee Forum where a lot of interesting things get discussed. This is the link and my postings are under kidbeey

http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ANBees/info

The best Stingless Bee Book in Australia has been written by one of the forum members.
This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for sharing the link! I work mainly with stingless bees and hope to find a lot of information there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
sir apo, uplb bee program told me that i cannot sell biroi species in area were there is no sightings of biroi species.. reason is it may dominate other stingless bees.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
sir apo, uplb bee program told me that i cannot sell biroi species in area were there is no sightings of biroi species.. reason is it may dominate other stingless bees.
Hi Marvin, that is very much understandable.I guess I'll just have to focus on T. laeviceps since it is very abundant here.

I just can't understand the reason why UPLB is also raising european bees. Won't it affect our native species too? Just a thought!

·
Registered
6 Posts
ah.. nice question.. European bees or apis mellifera are imported bees that cannot survive alone in our climate plus the possibility of this specie to be invasive is 0, because it cant reproduce on thier own, if there is a chance that the queen will be mated it wont last, she will just lay eggs for 1-3 mo then it will fail, another thing is our native apis cerana formely known here as laywan/ligwan are far more aggressive and invasive. :D

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
ah.. nice question.. European bees or apis mellifera are imported bees that cannot survive alone in our climate plus the possibility of this specie to be invasive is 0, because it cant reproduce on thier own, if there is a chance that the queen will be mated it wont last, she will just lay eggs for 1-3 mo then it will fail, another thing is our native apis cerana formely known here as laywan/ligwan are far more aggressive and invasive. :D
Very informative answer Marvin. Thanks! But I guess with the introduction of this imported bees, we still can't take out the possibility of competition in terms of food sources which may affect our native species in the long run.

I assume they that they are not limiting the number of hives a beekeeper can have, right? So a beekeeper could have hundreds of imported bee colonies. I think it would surely disrupt the ecosystem of our native bee species.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Marvin, here's another good reason why we need to reconsider bringing in imported honeybees to our country. It has he potential to wipe-out our native bee species.

news.nationalgeographic.com/news/20...disease-declines-science-pollinators-disease/

·
Registered
6 Posts
about foraging, still, nothing beats the cerana, if you head, cerana is considered as a pest in Australia, because they are so invasive, thats how strong they are..
about the about disease, yes its true, it might affect our native bees, thats why uplb bee program are encouraging beekeepers and future beekeepers to use our own native species.. see link.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdimjATgqo0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrdFdk2bAAQ

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
41 - 60 of 71 Posts