Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Somebody suggested using hair removal strips to remove stingers and I was wondering if anybody else has used them, and if so, how well did they work? I currently keep thin plastic squares with me to scrape, but this idea seems like it might work better, especially for areas that are hard to reach. (Or if there's an even better tape for this, I'd be interested)

Regards,
b1rd

·
Registered
11,484 Posts
Pretty sure it would be a long drawn out process which would maximise both pain, and poison transfer.

A scrape with a fingernail or hive tool has the job done in less than a second, and accesses the sting from under the poison sack rather than over it.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I always use my hive tool. Fast, easy, it's already in my hand, and then back to work.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
The more i think about this, the more I think it's a crazy idea. Most kinds of adhesive tape require pressure to adhere to anything, but I suspect the poison sac wouldn't stick to most adhesive tapes anyway ...

Wax hair removal strips are a complete non-starter, as it takes a long time to get the pot of wax molten before applying it to the fabric strip - meanwhile the sac will have been pumping away its venom.

As OT says, speed is of the essence - you really need to wipe that sting away instantly, or as near instantly as possible. My guess is that whoever suggested the use of tape has never actually done this ...
LJ

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The more i think about this, the more I think it's a crazy idea. Most kinds of adhesive tape require pressure to adhere to anything, but I suspect the poison sac wouldn't stick to most adhesive tapes anyway ...

Wax hair removal strips are a complete non-starter, as it takes a long time to get the pot of wax molten before applying it to the fabric strip - meanwhile the sac will have been pumping away its venom.

As OT says, speed is of the essence - you really need to wipe that sting away instantly, or as near instantly as possible. My guess is that whoever suggested the use of tape has never actually done this ...
LJ
I was referring to the ones that you just peel away and use like tape, and I was already thinking about the pressure on the venom sac before I even posted this, but I didn't want to miss a cool tip if it worked well.

Back to the plastic scrapers.

Thanks for the replies~
b1rd

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Seems like a lot of wasted effort and attention on something so trivial.
Not as trivial if you're allergic to bees. Anything trick that I can learn to get that stinger out ASAP is a bonus for me.

b1rd

1 - 10 of 10 Posts