Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got to thinking about this while reading about the swarm from h*ll thread. Whats the worst youve ever been stung?
For me it was 2 summers ago, we had a really nasty thunderstom move through one day with 60-70 mph straight line winds. I had two hives behind our house, both two deeps with 4 supers on each. One of the hives got blown over in the stormand spread across about 20 ft of ground. Well, I went out right after the stormto try to save the hive. I put on my suit my gloves my veil, and without thinking I just slipped my feet into a pair of moccasins without socks or banding my pantlegs.
I never gave a thought to several cold ,wet, very ticked off bees on the ground and in the grass.
I started restacking the hive boxes and they started stinging! My ankles, legs, back and shoulders. Luckily i killed the 1 that got into my shorts before she killed me!
I didnt stop untill the whole mess was back in place. they kept going untill I was back in the house!
By the time i got back into the house, I was a mess and really hurtin! I had never taken Benadryl before but thought this would be a good time to start.
My wife was helping me scrape off stingers. I dont know how many she took off where I couldnt see but I stopped counting on my ankles at 40.
I coulnt walk for about 2 days becase my feet and ankles were so swollen and sore, but aside from that I came out of it OK!
Oh, the hive survived too!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Well I won't be doing that. I got stung on the bottom of my foot one time and that drove me to wearing shoes all of the time.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I've had two stings so far...both on the right elbow area. The first one through a long sleeve dress shirt. The sting today went right through my bee suit. That one really surprised me.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Well the Swarm from H**L was my thread so that was my worst.In addition to my head I had one bee go up my pants leg that day and hit my ankle but I grabbed a roll of tape and sealed the legs off.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Two shots to my nose trying to switch an entrance feeder after dark, I think the worst problem was trying to keep my eyes from watering whilst trying to find the last stinger in the sideview mirror AND holding the flashlight still!:doh:

·
Registered
706 Posts
Got stung on my index finger no biggie. till I had to do some logging working my chain saw made my finger swell and the back of the hand look like a golf ball under it. so getting stung running a saw for 8 hours till I could not grip my saw. ugh.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts