Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hmmmm, was just visiting a homesteading site (which is very new, but seems to have potential) and one of their forums is..........ta da , BEEKEEPING !! lol

Well, Someone said that they had discovered that after immediately removing the stinger by scraping that they found that putting on a little dab of toothpaste gave "instant relief" Whoa !?!?!

The next post said that even better than that is to put "a little drop of honey" on the sting, that it worked even better.

I never heard of any such thing. Have any of you ???

------------------
It's Not The Destination, It's The Journey. We Cannot Change The Wind, But We CAN Trim The Sails.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Adolph's Meat Tenderizer works great. It contains an enzyme called papain, which works by digesting protein which converts the protein into peptides and amino acids. In essence, when you put it on a tough piece of meat, papain begins digesting the meat, thus making it more tender.

The same thing holds true for the sting. Bee venom is a protein, so if applied directly on the site of the sting, the papain will begin breaking down those proteins.

This remedy works best if done right away, while the venom in at it's most localized. As the venom works it's way into your system, it gets more difficult to relieve the pain.

I keep a container of it in my tool box, so when I get tagged, it's available right away. It's best to dampen the site of the sting first, so that the powder adheres better. I use water, or in the absence of that, a little spit. Rub the Adolph's in, using liberal amounts. After a few minutes most of the pain should have dissipated.

[This message has been edited by thebeesknees (edited June 11, 2004).]

G

·
I have heard of the toothpaste and have tried it. It seemed to work a little. Although, I don't know if the pain actually subsided or the cooling (menthol type feeling) on the skin just distracted me from the actual pain. Haven't heard of the honey or the meat tenderizer!

·
Registered
51 Posts
where i'm at i have to worry about bears getting my hives...if i go putting honey and meat tenderizers on me then i have a whole new problem to worry about the least of which is that lil'o sting i just got!

i don't know if these are still produced but i have a device called 'the extractor'. I purchased it at a camping/backpacking store. it's a syringe looking device that has attachments to match the size of the bite sustained. then you push down on the plunger and when it hits the bottom it unleases a significant suction...obviously designed to suck the venom out of the bite. believe it or not...it really works...as long as you get it on quickly enough. if you keep it in your bee suit ready to go it will save you lots of pain and itching.

Ken

Just found a picture of this...

------------------
Good friends are sweet as honey. Winnie the Pooh
http://honeybeesonly.com

[This message has been edited by honeybeesonly (edited June 11, 2004).]

·
Registered
21 Posts
I find it interesting that the other posts say the stinging should stop in a few minutes with treatment, or the itching will stop in a few days...

Now I have only been stung twice when I was installing my packages; I had bees in my britches.
The stings were less than I was expecting and stopped hurting within a few minutes and I never thought about them again. I have a more lasting reaction to mosiquto bites which bug me for days. Was I just lucky, or might I be "immune"?

I asked by doctor about the stings in general and he said to keep Benedryl around. Sometimes I take 1 when I feel the bees are in a bad mood, just in case.

·
Banned
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ain't ABOUT to just take a benedryl !! lol
I would be laying down out there in the middle of the bees, and taking a nap !!

The itching will stop on it's own in a few days, with NO treatment.

I was already aware of all sorts of treatments, starting with tobacco when I was a child, but I just had never heard of the toothpaste or honey thang !! lol

------------------
It's Not The Destination, It's The Journey. We Cannot Change The Wind, But We CAN Trim The Sails.

·
Banned
1,210 Posts
I don't use anything either.

When I get stung, I scrape off the stinger and go about my business.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts