Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My gloves have been stung repeatedly. I too, agree with the idea that when a bee stings you, she leaves behind a pheremone trail that says "attack right here".

Question: How do I get that pheremone off of my leather gloves?

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Keep working in them. We wear gloves all day long, open hundreds of hives a day and it doesn't seem to be a problem. Sweat, honey, and wax on them probably negate any of the smell.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I rarely wear gloves, I do keep them handy for the days they are ill tempered I really don’t like to get stung. One trick I do is when lighting my smoker I smoke my hands this seem to mask the human sent. I would guess it would work for gloves as well.

·
Registered
Bee Wrangler
736 Posts
I will also agree with smoking your gloves and hands. If I get stung, after scraping the stinger out I will hit it with a big puff of smoke.

G3

·
Registered
125 Posts
I smoke my gloves and around my arms! Seems to work just fine!!
That's interesting. I'm going to give that smoke thing a try.

It's tedious to clean leather gloves. Canvas you can throw into the washer but with my nice leather gloves it's a bit more work. I clean the gunk off first with orange cleaner/solvent and then use a non toxic leather cleaner/conditioner. That pheromone in potent and bees go right to that spot where the glove was stung previously so unless you enjoy agitated bees, you should do this every so often. Or buy the cheap budget leather gloves so you can change them out when your gloves get too sticky and covered with attack pheromone.

·
Registered
Bee Wrangler
736 Posts
my leather gloves will wear out before they ever got all of that treatment.

If mine get sticky just dunk them in the water and shake em out.

G3

·
Registered
173 Posts
I would not be happy with bees that are that aggressive. YES ! I have had that kind. I requeened with queens from gentle stock.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have just been wearing medical gloves. Fit well and they are cheap. I get a box of 100 from work for under $5. When the bees are buzzing on them it tickles a bit!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts