Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Simple questions that may not be so simple.

What is the best way you have found to stimulate spring build up?

·
Registered
787 Posts
Re: Stimulating Groweth

Feed pollen/syrup is the general answer.... But you need to look at your day/night time temps...

Also, you don't want the hive to get honey/syrup bound, so you need to keep an eye on their brood nest. Make sure that the queen has room to lay.

I'm still working on the pollen, since I have a continuing jihad against shb.

·
Registered
219 Posts

Feed syrup and give them empty comb but I agree with Michael. If you want to split you may be alright but if you want to build up populations for the honey flow good luck getting them not to swarm.l like to let the bees hit there peak population on there own. It's usually perfect timing every year. They know what they're doing.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I am planning on splitting a couple of the hives, but I agree , I think I will just leave them to there own devices. Thanks all

·
Registered
36 Posts

@Slee, while the replies error towards caution, the answers you are looking for is as simple as your question; give them pollen, plenty of it. You can by Dadant'd version called Brood Builder which you can give dry (my personal preferance) or you can mix it as a syrup feed (messy and labor intensive). But I must admit that everyone whom replied is correct in suggesting that you do in fact need to watch your honey and nectar proportions in the hive in relation to the pollen. In other words, make sure their relatively equal. An occasion think (1-1) and thick 2-1) will help assure that. Give a little at a time as opposed to heaping amounts all at once. This way you give them a chance to distributs and reorganize after their initial frenzy of just trying to greedily get it all in. Finally, make sure you "open the brood chamber" progressively. If you are going to do this you must keep an eye on the room available to the queen. Add deeps progressively. In a month and a couple weeks be ready to split, because the real stuff will be coming in heavy. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts