Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
Are you leveling your candles on a hotplate or something similar? We use a pie plate on an electric teflon "griddle". First we use a utility knife or pointy scissors to cut the wick a bit below the surface of the candle, then put the candle in the heated pie plate and level it by turning it around.
Sheri

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
That's why we cut the wick further up into the candle, as much as 1/4 inch or so, then when it is leveled, the melted wax fills in this hole.
Sheri

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
I cut the wick off with my pocket knife and I use an iorm to flaten the bottoms 7 bux for an iorn from wally wourld

·
Registered
78 Posts
Chief,
Do not use a scissor of knife to cut the wick on the bottom. Use a small wire cutter a a similar cutter which is used for toe nails. With this cutter you can cut precisely where you want to cut without putting force on the wick.
Janvanhamont

·
Registered
359 Posts
I went to a metal yard and bought a chunk of aluminum and had a friend mill it flat with a small collection trough around the interior. I place this chunk of aluminum onto a hot plate, heat it up, and then turn off the hot plate and level the candles on this not hot piece of aluminum. I also use a pait of sharp wire cutters to cut the wick off below the wax. Works great.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I use a razor knife and dig into the candle wax right through the wick. I end up doing it on almost all my molded candles. It is best to let the candles sit over night and really harden up before doing it and I can't stress enough about being carefull with a -RAZOR- knife.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts