Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, checked all 20 hives two put up some honey not to much, the goldenrod is in full swing and nothing is happning I live near Rome I have three locations all areas producsed alot of honey in the past :s

·
Registered
89 Posts
checked in on three hives yesterday and one so far is capping in the super,,goldenrod just in early phase of startup here so still hopefull for bigger crop

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Do you really mean No Honey, or just not much. I have taken about 30 pounds so far. A friend of mine w/ bees near Utica and out in the Finget Lakes, near Lowvile and in the North Country too says about the same for him, 30 pounds.

Are your 20 cols new this year? Overwintered? Nucs in the spring on drwan comb or on foundation? What did you start the season with? That can say alot about why you have what you have.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
I'm glad you think so. And I hope you get twice that much from the goldenrod. Then you will have about half of an annual average crop for NY State. Not to burst your bubble. Or did one of us do our math incorrectly.

400 lbs of honey from 40 hives is 10 pounds per hive, right?

·
Registered
593 Posts
worked 10 yards with 10 hives ea yesterday, rough guess @ 2500-3000 from about 150 medium supers. didn't seem that good. 37 year commercial guy said he didn't think that it was a good year. good amount of rain here in Livingston county.
someone said goldenrod in full swing....that is pollen right? not nectar?

·
Registered
240 Posts
still no honey here .im just south of rome.the one hive i was counting on i checked and the med super was full of brood not honey :( happy honey farm acording to bill crowell the goldenrod that is in bloom now only produces pollen the one that produces honey will bloom in a couple of weeks

·
Registered
585 Posts
I think the spring harvest has been short. Of the 25 or so hives of which some are this springs nuc`s, a trapout and several cutouts. I took off about 200 pounds, leaving some bottom supers which I have partial filled comb supers on . The average per hive (production) is only about 16.6 per hive.I also noticed when doing cutouts this year that some of the hives had very little supplies and small clusters, these may have been swarms from last july. There just didnt seem to be a good basswood flow in the areas of my yards. I havent seen my bees working the goldenrod so far this year. Although I have heard reports of others beeks smelling it in their hives...Hoping for a good long fall flow....Rick

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Seven of my hives are overwintered, and the thing that concerns me is there is no honey in the deeps for the winter. Dwan I could not make the meeting last week does Bill think the goldenrod flow is still coming and did he have early summer honey?

·
Registered
70 Posts
St. Lawrence Co.-My best hive out of 27 produced 2 medium supers that I harvested back in July. I've had 3 drawn supers on this hive since a week before dandelion bloom and they're filling in again quickly. Ive only talked with one other guy who runs 65 colonies up here but he said this has been an excellent season for both quality and quantity.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
I took of an average of one med per hive in july, which was not very good, then my partner reminded me we extracted early because he was out of honey to retail. I put those med back on the hives and they are still empty, but they are capping the med's below. but they are filling the brood chambers, just haven't had a strong enough flow to make them fill the top supers. My partner called friday and said he had to put on an extra medium on all of his hives, I went out sat. and checked mine, no change, no flow from golden rod and knap weed is on its last legs and didn't seem to produce much nectar this year, probably to dry(never thought I would say that around syracuse).

·
Registered
82 Posts
im putting on med and taking them off every other day or so. so yes this is a good year for me. to answer the other guy question is i only took of from about 15 hives not all 40 for some are still in nuks but are double stacked.

·
Registered
107 Posts
We'll be harvesting this weekend. Looks like we'll have mediums per hive, plus they've already started backfilling the top of the broodnest. We run two deeps and a medium for the broodnest. We're in up state VT.

·
Registered
240 Posts
jmgi not sure of the name one has a leaf the size of your ilttle fingre one the size of your thumb not sure witch is witch

1 - 20 of 29 Posts