Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Arrugh. What's up with this spring? No hide nor hair of even a purple eyed a drone cell anywhere. I've got a very gentle three winter queen who has laid six frames of the bottom box that I want to raise some daughters from. She's laid a tiny patch of about a dozen or so drones, and that is it, and I don't want her making drones since she's who I'm planning on grafting from. I even put a drone frame in the hive I'd prefer made drones - nada, not even eggs in it. That hive had an elusive unmarked queen (new last summer) that I've only seen once before and I found her yesterday. She got marked and I probably did a no-no that probably won't do any good; I put the drone frame right smack in the middle of the brood nest and released her onto it. Anyone else having difficulty getting their drone production going this year? Usually it seems like I'm culling them because there are too many, not coaxing them. :scratch:

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ruth, I should have added that I've given them each a double wide frame feeder of 1:1 and bee pro patties. They slurped down the 1:1. I refilled with 1.5:1. But so far they've only curiosity nibbled on the patties. When they have flying days they are coming in heavy loaded with some orange pollen, but I have no idea where its coming from.

The queen I want to graft from is in a honey/pollen rich hive, so I haven't given it anything, yet it is the only drone producer, albeit only a few that for better or worse, I culled since I wanted to reduce the chance of any inbreeding.

It could be we are still on the Rocky Mountain roller coaster. It is 74° right now with snow forecast starting just 36 hours from now through Thrusday, maybe the girls are really good at weather forecasting.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts