Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I planted my first colony on the 29th of May and did my first inspection today. The gap where the queen cage was is completely filled in with burr comb filled with honey-much of it capped. I tried to cut some of it down so I could fit the two frames together, but honey was squirting everywhere and making a huge mess. I decided to leave much of the thick mass there, but there is a 4-inch gap between the two frames. Should I cut it all out on my next inspection? I'm worried about killing brood further down. How important is it for the frames to fit evenly?

Other than that, the inspection went without major disaster. I forgot most of what I meant to look for:doh:, dropped honey-filled burr comb in the dirt (still tastes good) and lost 4 lbs. in perspiration. This is normal, right?

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
I know the feeling. I try to check on the queen by day three at the latest. Often, the queen is out very quickly. I have a hive right now that was hived last Saturday and won't get checked until this coming Saturday and I expect burr comb between the frames.

I always "make it right" but pulling the cage and scraping everything off between the frames that normally wouldn't go there. I don't worry about brood, honey or anything. I'm in and out and the frames are centered and tight together. That's what I would recommend.

·
Registered
107 Posts
sounds like our first inspection but they had glued the nuc frame to our new frames in multiple spots,

also forgot to look for pretty much everything... basically just wow lots of bees!!!!! kinda overwhelming!!!!
got a check list now so will go thru it next time

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice to know I'm not alone.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
cut it out tommorrow, and be ruthless-just hack it outta there. they'll fix it right up. the longer you wait the worse it gets and the more the repairs will set'em back. good luck,mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts