Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First year, first sticky board. I thought it better to put a sticky board below the screened bottom board but when I went to slide it in I found a huge clump of bees hanging below the screen. OK, it was a gray misty day but today it's 70F, sunny, and lots of dutch clover out there to forage on and a lot of them are still hanging under the screen. I smoked them and flicked them off with a bee brush but they would march right back up there before I could get the board in. I got the boards in but I'm sure I trapped a number of bees between the board and screen.

Sliding the sticky board in above the screen sounds easy but takes up space and needs something to keep the bees off of it. What is considered to be the better approach??

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Below, the SBB keeps the bees OFF the sticky board. You can get a sticky board that comes with it's own little screen you can put in above, but there is no need to do that if you have a SBB. Trapped bees in there will be a problem as they can get stuck to the board. Not sure why you couldn't get them to leave....

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I had bought a couple of SBB's with the tray/sticky board combo slot. When there was a dearth there was always bees trying to find the back way in, I knew they were robbers cause there would guard bees coming out of the hive and running back there to kick their butts. They're now collecting dust with my bee brush.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Leave them in all the time. I put a nuc in a 10 frame hive with a sbb and didn't put the tray in till the next day and 50 or so bees clustered to the screen on the underside. I moved them out and they would fly back in before I could slide tray in. I now leave mine in all the time. I replaced sticky boards with metal trays filled with diatomaceous earth. I live in shb heaven and so far it is a shb killer.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I replaced sticky boards with metal trays filled with diatomaceous earth. I live in shb heaven and so far it is a shb killer.
A Most Excellent Idea ! I keep DE around for insect control in closed spaces <roaches , we hates 'em we does!> and on some garden plants . All I need to do is bend a bit of a lip on that piece of sheet metal I used for my homemade "sticky" paper . Should also do in any mites that land in it . Thanks !

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses. The diatomaceous earth sounds like a good idea. Not too many SHB here this year but next year may bring them back. I wound up killing a couple dozen bees that got trapped under each hive when I slid in the boards.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts