Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just read a posting on another thread about the fear of fire danger from smokers. I read somewhere about getting a used Army ammo can to keep my smoker in. FYI I found a large ammo can at an army surplus place for $12. I took the smoker to be sure it would fit. This wasn't the normal smallish 30-caliber can, but quite large and heavy. Locks down real nice. Keeps the smoker safe in transport, and the shop smoke free when I store it.
Regards,
Steven

·
Registered
611 Posts
Could you get the fire protection with smoker upgrades/modifications instead of a box?
my ideas
  1. Insulate the sides and bottom. A Betterbee smoker has this. They advertise it can sit on and not melt polystyrene. Some old Woodman and Dadant ones have it.
  2. My hinge pin fell out. Replace it with a bolt with welded nut, cotter pin, split rivet, bent nail, or clevis pin.
  3. a latch for the cover
  4. a plug for the tube and nozzle

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Could you get the fire protection with smoker upgrades/modifications instead of a box?
my ideas
  1. Insulate the sides and bottom. A Betterbee smoker has this. They advertise it can sit on and not melt polystyrene. Some old Woodman and Dadant ones have it.
  2. Replace the hinge pin with a bolt with welded nut, cotter pin, split rivet, bent nail, or clevis pin.
  3. a latch for the cover
  4. a plug for the tube and nozzle
I have an old woodman (long retired) my first smoker from sears, it has a heat shield on it but that is to protect the fingers. Bent over nails in a couple and a big whittled stick to put into the snout.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I live in the woods too and am very cautious about fires. When finished in the bee yard I always use a modified wine bottle cork in the smoker snout to snuff out the embers and place the smoker in a clean metal five gallon bucket with a lid in place. I also can carry a hive tool, extra fuel (blue jean scraps & corn cobs), lighter and a butane torch for lighting the smoker.
in the bucket.
Cheers
Steve

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.