Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Steel ply

5472 Views 16 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  fish_stix
Does anyone know where to get steel ply in the ark/la/tex? Local lowes doesnt carry it, and I have been told that it is too expensive new.

Also, when I do get some, can I use it just like regular plywood, or will I need to have a different blade on the table saw, pre-drill holes, etc.

Thanks

Mike
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
958 Posts
Check local concrete construction companies to see if they have any used available, or where to find some used. I get it from a local Amish supplier that gets it used by the truckload, some of it is smaller pieces (3' x 3'), which I get for $3, and last time I got a bunch, it was unused! Great for migratory tops and bottom boards. Can't beat it. Use a carbide tipped saw blade; a 50 combination blade does fine with minimal tear-out.

MM

· Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I (and a friend of mine) have talked to kenny and he cannot get a hold of the people that usually have it for sale. I am going to start calling the concrete companies tomorrow, expecting a bunch of "I dunnos" and No, we keep it all. I also was bumming around Home Depot the other day, went to the contractor booth and asked them about it, can get it special order, A friend of mine said sit down when they call and give you a price per sheet.

Any other suggestions? I seem to be drawing blanks.

Mike

· Registered
2,263 Posts
I question why you're trying to use steelply. Its purpose is to give a smooth surface to concrete and to make it easy to strip concrete forms. It still delaminates just like any other plywood when moisture gets in the exposed ply edges. I'm a general contractor and have used thousands of sheets of the stuff but I don't see the advantage for bee equipment. Any good grade of exterior plywood will give exactly the same service, cheaper. Just give the edges a couple coats of paint and it will last several years. :scratch:

· Premium Member
71 Posts
I have lids that were made from concrete form boards. Its not the same as regular plywood. It has a waterproof side and is hard wood. The water proof side lasts well about 5 years, and then shows some real wear. The lids I have are now ten years old and are not rotten but have large crakes in them but still do not leak water through.
I would never try just plain plywood, I don't think it would even last a few years.

· Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have lids that were made from concrete form boards. Its not the same as regular plywood. It has a waterproof side and is hard wood. The water proof side lasts well about 5 years, and then shows some real wear. The lids I have are now ten years old and are not rotten but have large crakes in them but still do not leak water through.
I would never try just plain plywood, I don't think it would even last a few years.
Thanks. That is EXACTLY what I am talking about.

· Registered
2,263 Posts
We're talking about two different products here. Steel ply has a smooth plastic like surface on one side. Dancing Bee is describing B-B Formply which has a grade B ply on each side and has been treated with form oil to prevent concrete sticking to it. Either of them will work but I don't think I'd put the oiled ply side in the hive; has a pretty strong petroleum smell when new.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.