Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to beekeeping, and all is well except when we started with our package, we had the hive we bought all put together with both deeps, and a super installed. So far they have filled in about 6 frames of the upper box with comb, but nothing really on the bottom or super. Should I remove the bottom and super till they fill in all frames of the niddle? Or just let it be. I did notice some burr comb being filled in between the upper and super. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
Pure Russians. 25 years experience.
8 Posts
You always start with one box. They like tight spaces and if you give them too much room they don't expand. Take everything out of the middle and just use the two boxes that have comb. I use all medium depth Illinois supers from top to bottom, mush easier to work with and you can move the frames around to any box better.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You always start with one box. They like tight spaces and if you give them too much room they don't expand. Take everything out of the middle and just use the two boxes that have comb. I use all medium depth Illinois supers from top to bottom, mush easier to work with and you can move the frames around to any box better.
Thanks! I guess I'm paranoid of causing the queen to ababscond if I start to move stuff around.

·
Registered
4ish langstrom hives
1,450 Posts
Thanks! I guess I'm paranoid of causing the queen to ababscond if I start to move stuff around.
Once the queen starts laying and they have brood they are not likely to abscound. Remove the empty boxes and store them until the first box is 80% drawn out and filled. After the first deep is filled add the second one on top of the first one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts