Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I start my hives w/ a 5 frame medium nuc can I just stagger empty frames between full brood frames in a single super until they are drawn then replace them with empties and use the newly drawn frames in a second super with empties staggered in it?

·
Registered
764 Posts
I don't know how many mediums you have per colony, one seems a little small, but on staggering empties between full ones, it is a commonly used method to get straight foundationless frames drawn out, worked well for me.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Think I'm going to use 3 mediums for brood, it's frickin cold up here most winter. My concern about staggering all 5 nuc frames with empties had to do with dispersing the brood nest too much when starting the new hive. I didn't know if this would freak out the bees.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I am far from you and beekeeping is local, that being said, I would put two empties in boxes one and three I would put them in positions two and four, in box two I would put one empty in position three. The reason I would do this is to not have an empty over an empty, and it is useless unless really crowded to place an empty on the outside, they usually ignore it. I would then check them every few weeks until they are working in the top box before considering any further action.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, if I'm using 3x 8 frame mediums for brood boxes and starting w/ a 5 frame nuc. Should I start with 1 medium w/3 empty frames and wait til those are drawn, remove them completely and draw 3 more then start the second super with 4-5 of these drawn comb and empties? Then just keep repeating the process until all my frames are drawn?

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
If I start my hives w/ a 5 frame medium nuc can I just stagger empty frames between full brood frames in a single super until they are drawn then replace them with empties and use the newly drawn frames in a second super with empties staggered in it?
Not this time of year, I wouldn't.

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
Don't separate the brood frames into singles. Always have at least two brood frames against each other if possible. Spreading then too thin will set the hive back. Once you get several brood frames going, then insert empties into the middle.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don't separate the brood frames into singles.
So, I'd have to do 2 empty frames in a 8 frame super 3 times then start on the next super and so on...? Won't they get real crowded in a single medium? Or not until the drawn frames are getting full of brood? Worrying about swarming. How long will it take a nuc to draw 2 frames in spring under fair to good conditions?

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
The old saying goes: you train a golden with a whisper, you train a lab with a shout, you train a chessie with a 4x4!
Yeah, my Llewellins are the same way, male had him at 6 weeks, trained with a whisper. Female, got her at 16 wks, training with a shout and looking for the 4x4...........:waiting:

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Puts you two in a really good light, now doesn't that? You don't know how to communicate w/ your dog and it is the dogs fault? Interesting.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Puts you two in a really good light, now doesn't that? You don't know how to communicate w/ your dog and it is the dogs fault? Interesting.
They are working dogs Mark. Strong willed. Do you really think we are going to beat our dogs with lumber. Gimme a break. Stick to your cats buddy.;) G

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Amen brother. Most of the uninitiated that get chessies end up with a trashed house and the rescue organization has another dog to place. I have a pretty complete interview process for prospective clients.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts