Hi everybody! I've been reading lots of posts, love these forums and this is my first time posting here. My husband and i started with 4 hives this year, up to 8 now. We are planning on expanding in the next 3 years or so to the point where we can sell bees. We don't want to get into honey production unless we have to. This is my first year beekeeping but my husband has lots of beekeeping experience (worked for commercial beekeepers for years in the past) and has always wanted his own beekeeping business. This is a sideline business for him, but full-time for me. I am in charge of the 'books' and the business end of things but have never run a business before and don't really know where to start.
- What kind of business liscence do we need to get? is there a different kind for farm based businesses than for regular businesses?
- Farm status? can you get farm status if you don't own the land that the apiaries are on? what are the benefits of having 'farm status'--i've read online that you can get a better rate from bchydro (tier one rates), and lower property taxes (wouldnt apply to us because we don't own the land that our bees are on), and marked gas (that would be super helpful especially if we put the bees up into the fireweed in the mountains)
- we are expecting financial losses for the first few years while we build up, as we spend money on bees and equipment. can my husband claim those losses against his regular income tax at his day job?
- what kind of records should i be keeping? for now i've just been throwing all the receipts for bee-related expenses into a file in the filing cabinet!! there's got to be a better way of doing this
- are there any books, websites, online courses about the business side of beekeeping that you would recommend for a newbie like myself?