Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be starting two trap outs next week. One on a house, the other on a tree. I am going to using my adaptation of Cleo Hogan's method. I would like to hear from anyone who has used this method.

Trap-1.jpg

·
Registered
338 Posts
Works excellent...can't do a cut out on the house?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Works well. I am on the tail-end of a trap-out on my house. I've given bees to local beekeepers and added several hives to my yard as well. In my case, I was interested in removing the entire colony from the house instead of just taking starts. I was fortunate in that during the trap-out, the hive swarmed and I was able to retrieve them. Made the trap-out go somewhat faster. Good luck.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The house construction is odd and they have no idea how far they are in the walls. They will not let me take out any wood. The bees have been in there for six years. They do want them out or else I would take them a little at a time.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The house entrance in under an over hang that extends out 22 inches. I have built the woodware to drop the entrance 7 inches and extend it 24 inches to hook into a hive box. Will they have a problem with this distance?

·
Registered
338 Posts
The house construction is odd and they have no idea how far they are in the walls. They will not let me take out any wood. The bees have been in there for six years. They do want them out or else I would take them a little at a time.
If they have been there for that long, there is in all probability an enormous amount of honey there. If you trap out the bees and dont remove the honey...
Wax moths or carpenter ants are going to do a number on that hive, bees are no longer there to fan and keep things cool, when that happens the homeowners are going to have honey in their walls and floors. What a mess! Then they will be paying someone or making an insurance claim to remove walls, floors, and maybe ceiling to get it out. I would convince them if I were you. They may end up blaming you.

http://buzzaurus.com/nature/1296/

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If once I get the bees out can I open everything back up and let them rob it out for the rest of the summer. I don't want to cause them any problems.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Yes, but once the robbing starts, it will be a breath taking sight, as every other bee in the area will be there. Make sure you let owners know it will look and sound like the apocalypse!

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
Evidently the homeowners have a problem with the bees being there thus they want them gone. Wait until they get thousands of robbing, fighting, angry bees hanging out for days if not weeks. They think they have a problem now... just wait! lol
Make absolutely sure the homeowners are aware of the negative effects that not performing a correct removal has. I actually make them sign a waiver of liability before any work (trap out) starts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts