Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting to see ants. Just a few hanging around on the top of one box. Is it ok to sprinkle a little borax below the hive? Is there a couple of good ways to control ants that you folks would please share with me?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
ground cinnamon on the ground and inner cover is reported by many to be safe and effective. unless they are carpenter ants(destructive to wood) i dont bother with a few, but you have some stinging ants there, so id get'em gone.
good luck,mike

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not stinging ants. Just about a dozen or so every time I go outside to look. Only on the top of one hive. The smaller of the two. I'll keep an eye out and if the numbers stay the same I'll leave them alone. Doesn't seem to bother anything at the moment. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Since you dont have a major issue just yet i would take ground cinnamin and sprinkle it all over the top of the inner cover and all around the hives. i have tried this method and it worked just fine for those that only have a few ants. Some have said to use peppermint or spearmint leaves on top of the inner cover as well but i have never tried it yet! Good luck!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Mike K.
i live in the deep south where we have Fire Ants, this is what ya'll call stinging ants i guess, and we have sugar ants and carpenter ants, any ant crawling on your be hive is not good, they are probably scouts for the ants, and if your not watching them closely there will be a an army of them destroying your hive! have seen this happen with fire ants down here, nip it in the bud , and quick!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I was told by a more experienced bee keeper to put some grass clippings on the inner cover to clear ants. I have tried this and it really works. No chemicals to worry about.

·
Registered
421 Posts
My state bee inspector told me to put a bay leaf on the inner cover to get rid of ants (sugar ants). Haven't tried it yet, so don't know if it works or not.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts