Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in SW Montana and I am trying my best not to get ahead of myself with Spring fever. That being said, I am wondering if its possible to feed liquid syrup to my bees now and still have the quilt boxes on? Currently I have 2 deeps with a feeder shim, mountain camp sugar, and a quilt box. All my hives are still wrapped in 2 inch foam board.

I am seeing regular bee activity and want to do anything I can to keep them from starving as we are moving into some pretty warm days so I assume they are moving through their stores quickly. I also don't want to make a move too early as weather here can change by the minute and winter could be back. I dont plan to unwrap for a while, but is liquid feed a good idea and leaving the quilt boxes on? I was considering just adding a box and putting a gallon of sugar water directly on the frames and above that just leaving the quilt box.

Thoughts? Good idea or shut up and wait till Spring springs and focus on fly tying and fishing?

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
Thimk why you believe you are using quilt boxes. It is to get rid of moisture that will drip down on the bees and chill them. Now that temperatures are warmer moisture is just not as fatal a problem. In fact the bees need to maintain a higher humidity level on the brood combs. Your syrup will need to be above 50F if you want the bees to take it in successfully. A plan to keep the syrup warm should be holding most of your attention.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback!
We're between 20 and 50 most days now; with bees flying in the mid 40s. I decided today (in the upper 50s) to start the syrup and took off the quilt boxes. I can always put them back on if we get an extended cold snap; BUT im hoping things keep trending up for a bit. I am hoping the chances of EXTENDED cold where I'd defitanly need the boxes are gone............. hoping.
They are going to town on the pollen patties and I probably spilled enough of the mountain camp sugar down in the hive to get them good and angry. Im hoping to change out the sugar syrup for warm sugar syrup daily or every couple of days. Other than that its just treat them soon with an OAV and assess the queens once we get consistent warm temps.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I considered it, but the next few weeks are cool with a 3 day cold snap headed here for the weekend, so flights have been minimal. I will probably keep trudging out syrup every couple of days; I may even put the quilt boxes back on for this upcoming cold (high of 25-30 so not too cold) unless that seems unnecessary?
I have unwrapped the hives as I needed to access the top boxes to add syrup so I may even rewrap them but I am sure theyd be fine for a few days unwrapped.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.