Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I inspected my hive the other day and found what I had feared that all the bees were lost over the harsh winter. I have ordered two new packages and will be adding a second hive this year. I should be getting them in a month or so. My question is where do I start with the new package and the have that was lost? Do I leave both deeps on or start with one again like I did last spring? Also, with the new hive, can I add frames of comb from last years hive to the new one to give them a head start? Just want to make sure to get these two packages started off right for a successful year.
Thanks in advance for the advice!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just use one deep per package, wait until the deep has at least 7 frames covered with either brood or pollen/nectar to add a second deep on top. You could even start in Nuc boxes if you have them around. It's been my experience that colonies grow faster when not given too much space too soon.

I'd divide up the left over frames evenly between the too deeps from last year and inhale a package into each. It wouldn't hurt to freeze the frames then bag them until the packages arrive, but you might be OK if yu just taped them up until you can get bees.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Actually you don't need to freeze or wrap the frames, I would bet a good portion of what is in them is dead bees and crystalized nectar. It is too early for the wax moths in your area. By cleaning the hive of the corpses and leaving the hive in tact, there is a chance a swarm may move in. The worst that will happen is it will get robbed out. Then before the packages arrive split up the frames and ready the two hives for the packages leaving one super per hive. You don't want to have too many full frames in each hive, so the queen will have plenty of room to lay.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts