Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,
I haven't posted in a while, and so I thought i would give an update.

I'm starting over for the 3rd time... my first hive was actually doing very well... until someone came over and sealed the hive with caulking.

Started over... and the bees absconded

Now starting over and I'm using a warre and a cathedral (topbar hive). The installation of 2 packages is supposed to be happening either Tuesday or Wednesday (depends on when the bees arrive to the supplying apiary).

I hope 3rd times the charm

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hi everyone,
I haven't posted in a while, and so I thought i would guce an update.

I'm starting over for the 3rd time... my first hive was actually doing very well... until someone came over and sealed the hive with caulking.

Started over... and the bees absconded

Now starting over and I'm using a warre and a cathedral (topbar hive). The installation of 2 packages is supposed to be happening either Tuesday or Wednesday (depends on when the bees arrive to the supplying apiary).

I hope 3rd times the charm
I love your persistence. Do you have drawn comb in your new hives?

·
Super Moderator
Santa Cruz, CA
1,157 Posts
Who on Earth would caulk a hive shut!? Sounds like you need a game cam to keep an eye on them.

And are you keeping on top of your mites?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Who on Earth would caulk a hive shut!? Sounds like you need a game cam to keep an eye on them.

And are you keeping on top of your mites?
A horrible person caulked my hive shut... 2 and half years down the drain. When I install the packages this week, I'll be looking at 2 different types of hives and how the bees will operate in said hive.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Still live in the same location? The same neighbor who doesn't like your bees is probably still there, caulk gun handy. Suggest putting a 'hidden' entrance on the underside of the hive, in case the main, visible entrance gets blocked.
Ditto for the game cam.
Wow, I am not sure I would have thought of the hidden entrance. Excellent idea!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Still live in the same location? The same neighbor who doesn't like your bees is probably still there, caulk gun handy. Suggest putting a 'hidden' entrance on the underside of the hive, in case the main, visible entrance gets blocked.
Ditto for the game cam.
Well, moving that hive to a more visible location did prevent another caulking... however, the hive absconded. I like the secret entrance idea... location and secret entrance... I guess my next question is... how to install a secret entrance.

·
Super Moderator
Santa Cruz, CA
1,157 Posts
Hives rarely abscond and its commonly mites that collapse a colony to where it appears they did.

This is why I asked about your mite treatments.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Well, moving that hive to a more visible location did prevent another caulking... however, the hive absconded. I like the secret entrance idea... location and secret entrance... I guess my next question is... how to install a secret entrance.
Drill a hole in the underside.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hives rarely abscond and its commonly mites that collapse a colony to where it appears they did.

This is why I asked about your mite treatments.
The hive that absconded was almost 2 years ago... I know that there seemed to be a hive beetle issue... I could've stepped up the varroa mite treatments...🤔

·
Registered
718 Posts
A horrible person caulked my hive shut... 2 and half years down the drain. When I install the packages this week, I'll be looking at 2 different types of hives and how the bees will operate in said hive.
Here in NJ purposely damaging or destroying a honeybee hive is a class D felony with up to a year in the pokey and a big $ fine. Crap like that is just wrong. Good luck this year!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Packages have been installed!! My supplier (Queenright Colonies in Ohio), treated my bees and I did not get stung during installation. Will check on hives in the am, because I suspected that the one package may have had a loose queen... but not entirely sure

1 - 14 of 14 Posts