Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for opinions on how to start a foundationless hive most effectively.

What is the best way to get them started building combs correctly in the frames?
Since I am just starting out, I have no access to straight extra/empty combs that I can put in the hive to start the pattern properly.

Should I start with all foundation just to get some good straight combs to use and then start alternating foundationless frames in once the first box is full? Start with a box that is half foundation and half foundationless frames alternated? Other approach? Anything that you would advise strongly against?

All suggestions and advice are highly appreciated :)

·
Registered
652 Posts
what frames do you have?

I built my own so i used jumbo craft sticks in a groove along the top.

from my gfs Top bar hive. but same principle. they attach it quite well and are straight.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Make sure your bars are all perfectly level. Triangular wedges centered on the bars have worked well for me.

·
Registered
8,196 Posts
Get a few PF plastic frames from Mann lake. It gives the package bees you are probably getting a place to cluster and drawing the 4.9mm cells will rapidly regress the bees down to a more natural size. These say four or five frames will provide an initial straight line and when there is two capped frames of the PF's, put a foundationless frame in between them and the bees will draw out a straight and usually great comb. Get wedge top bar frames and detach the wedge and staple it on turned 90 degrees to original position to provide a straight line on the frame. Some folks like to wire the frame or put fishing line thru the provided holes to support the combs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts