Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm expanding my hives with three new packages of bees in a few days. I have 5 existing hives that appear to have wintered well. My question is: when I start those new packages should I put some existing comb in there to give them a jump start or let them start on bare foundation? I would think that putting one or two frames with drawn comb would let the queen get to laying right away but will this keep the bees from drawing out the rest of the foundation? Packages bees can draw out foundation fast. suggestions please. Thanks.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I would save the drawn comb for your overwintered hives ie honey production. Let the packages draw out the foundation. Since I usually feed packages they have plenty of resources to draw out new comb.

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
I would give them a frame of comb so the queen can start laying sooner.

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
Not only would I recommend starting with drawn comb, I would recommend putting in a frame or two of brood with the package bees. This will give the package a big head start.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I doubt I'll have much brood this early in the year....but maybe. I'll have to check my existing hives. Finally got some warmer weather this week. Finally!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts