Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be starting 3lb packages in the next few weeks. I had a problem with backfilling while I was feeding the bees last year and as a result i have several deep frames with a capped mixture of syrup/honey. What would be the best way to use this to build the hives? I also have plenty of empty drawn comb. How much empty comb, how much capped stores?

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Drawn empty comb in the center, filled comb to the sides. The bees probably won't cover more than three or four frames for brood raising until a round of brood emerges, and may only cover two depending on the number than survive. I would put three empty drawn combs in the center, a pair of full ones beside them, and empties toward the outside. The bees will move things to suit, and once the queen gets busy you can move drawn comb inside the full ones if necessary.

Keep a close eye on them, they will build up fast with drawn comb and lots of honey/syrup! Have your next box ready in three weeks after hiving them.

Peter

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
At least one empty drawn comb; if you have 1/2 empty, with stores, I would put that one in next to the empty.

When you put them in I would feed with a quart or so of 1:1, but not so much that they start storing much in the empty comb.

Phil

1 - 5 of 5 Posts