Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a few years of being down in Florida , I have gotten bees again. Doing one hive for now. Got the nuc for 150 from a beekeeper that was very close like 20 mins away close. He even took the hive for a week to make sure they settled in and he dropped them off he went above and beyond. While driving to my place he looked around and noticed that the hive is in a very good location. Across the street are a ton of Brazilian pepper and in my backyard there are lots of willows and Spanish nettle. I did a small quart of sugar water and it has taken them 3 days to get it below half, leads me to believe that they found enough natural source. Showed both my abutting neighbors the hive and told them when there is honey and they are around they will get a spoon full straight from the hive, both are excited for getting hive honey as I call it. One is over the moon with the bees his yard has a lot of plants in it and he likes watching the bees pollinate the plants.

The hive was placed in my yard Friday morning so this coming Friday I'll do my first inspection, I am a little anxious because I am unsure of the hive temperament. My hive that I had in Massachusetts had a very mellow temperament and I was very at easy working them. I have to relearn the hive sounds and bee language again LOL.
On a side note the hive I have to my uncle he placed it on a farm and got 100 lbs of honey that year, I was happy for him.

Attachments

·
Registered
381 Posts
There's a lot of benefits in starting with 2 hives. Since you're returning to beekeeping, I'm sure you'll be fine with one. My commercial beek friend sent a load of bee's to Florida this past Winter and he said the Brazilian Pepper honey wasn't good. Maybe we're spoiled with our local honey?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya the pepper flow last year was very localized, one area had very small amounts others where out of control. I checked last night after work and they finally finished the jar I gave them so I will change it out, I think the natural nectar is flowing close by. I'll do a inspection Friday and see how the hive is filling out. I am debating on doing one super and the rest mediums but I am still unsure.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did a fast inspection on the hive, they look fine. It took them 3 days to down a quart or sugar water after I replaced it they downed it in a day. I am still learning the hive sounds so I can not tell if they where pissed or if I wasnt reading them right.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,322 Posts
A strong hive can put away a gallon per day if there is no flow. Even with real nectar coming in, my girls will go through a quart per day easy. Hive weights for me are starting to increase again so down in the sunny Tampa area, you probably do not need to feed as much either, unless like me you are trying to get a bunch of comb drawn out.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No robbing, I think they are just getting large, I need to check board them so they can draw comb on some other frames. Out of 10 frames they have 4 drawn from my 5 min inspection. This weekend I will try to pull frames and inspect deeper and try to gauge the hive temperament.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,322 Posts
Forgot you were starting from scratch again. Yeah, feed until you have the brood boxes and supers drawn. Throw another super on under the first when you stop feeding. That will be your honey if they store some.

On a side note, I am going to be bringing my niece her first bees in June, two hives. They will be balcony bees. South Tampa will never be the same again.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
She should love them. Two hives in June tho. Ya next paycheck I need to get 1 super and a Jacket and hoodie. I'll go to Walmart and get a bigger jar.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts