Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy a wide crown stapler to put boxes together. Anybody know of a good cheap brand that will last.

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
If you choose a narrow crown stapler, you can use the same tool to assemble both boxes and frames. I bought mine from Grizzly and am pleased with it.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I was sooooo glad when I finally bought my stapler. Using screws is for the birds! bought mine at the flea market, brand new in tha box. $25 uses from 1/2" to 1 1/2" staple or nail. Might try looking on Ebay too. Probably some pretty good deals there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I picked up a cheap one from amazon "Numax SST9032", so far it has worked without issue (less than a year). I think it was $30 with free shipping.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Get one that uses both staples and brads. No sense buying a tool to do one thing when it can do two.

What can anyone say about a stapled box holding up to say a 2-3' drop when it's full? A local beek tells me that a stapled box won't last if it's dropped, but if it's nailed or screwed together, it can handle the damage pretty well.

I took a box apart that I dovetailed and nailed a few brads in. Or should I say, I destroyed it trying to take it apart. Even though the dovetails were not a good fit, it split the wood before the corners gave way.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I just bought the harbor freight 2-1 for $15 with Coupon. Been great so far Hecht for $15 how can you go wrong .

·
Registered
172 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
I might hafta use that this weekend. I really prefer the oil-free option, but for the price, you really can't beat this!

·
Registered
237 Posts
I might hafta use that this weekend. I really prefer the oil-free option, but for the price, you really can't beat this!
I believe there on sell this weekend in the store for that price with out a coupon also . But for 15 bucks you can't buy a hand power one . There a deal I think I'm going to get another.

·
Registered
172 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
I use 1 1/2" staples in my HF stapler/brad gun and my boxes have stayed together really well for about 8 years now. The only rabbeted hive boxes that didn't hold up were the ones I didn't staple at the very top into the narrow piece of wood across the frame rest. Some of the pine that I used should not have been used and it warped or cupped at the corners and pulled apart where I didn't staple close to the top of the corner. I learned three lessons: 1) cull out boards that look like the grain will cup, 2) put that staple at the tippy top of the corner even into the thin wood, 3) use plenty of Titebond glue all the way from top to bottom of those corners.

But most of the hive boxes held up good with the narrow crown staples. I do recommend the 1 1/2" length though. Might as well get all the holding power available out of the staples.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I use the harbor freight stapler for everything...with 1 3/8 staples. And I used all rabbet joints for the boxes until this year....everything I have built this year is simple butt joints with titebond 3 and staples. I really think that you would have to be really rough or trying to destroy them in order to damage them!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts