Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any recommendations for a decent stapler for hardware cloth? I have been through a few of the t50 pneumatic staplers. I like the half inch staples for screens and for flashing on the tops of boxes, but I have been through three of the Arrow T50 staplers. They are fine for most things, but if you forget and try to staple into Advantech or something stiff you end up breaking them.
The problem I have with narrow crown staplers is they end up going through flashing when I use it to attach to outer covers, and I can't get short staples for other uses.

I see there are other brands of t50 staplers, but I don't want to waste anymore money on these if they are all so fragile.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I use the same stapler I use for my boxes. I switch to 1/2" staples and adjust the depth stop. I haven't had any trouble with 1/2" staples and Advantech.

·
Registered
7,078 Posts
Lower the air pressure?

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Maybe try a romex wire stapler,
like the Arrow T72 wire and cable staple gun. Use the T72 staples. Wide crown insulated staples.
I see the electricians using them all the time.
I think Stanley also makes one, others do as well.
Manual less than $100.

There are also pneumatic wide crown staplers, Hitachi makes one but it costs- Hitachi HPT I think, !" crown, 16 gauge. About $250

Correction: Hitachi is now called Metabo.

·
Registered
944 Posts
You could try ceiling tile staples in your T50 stapler.I have not used them in Advantech but find they penetrate hard pine and trim coil better than the standard staples.They don't collapse.
The point is at right angles to the top so the " stick " of staples looks like a saw blade from the side.

https://www.menards.com/main/tools/...ples-1-250-count/50ct24sp/p-1444424350255.htm

Note the"CT" in the model number

·
Registered
31 Posts
What gauge hardware cloth is a pertinent question? For # 8 screening an arrow T-50 will do the job. If you are using something much heavier then hand drive some fence staples or get a commercial gun.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What gauge hardware cloth is a pertinent question? For # 8 screening an arrow T-50 will do the job. If you are using something much heavier then hand drive some fence staples or get a commercial gun.
It isn't the hardware cloth that is the issue. I've broken a couple of the Arrow staplers, and I'm pretty sure that it has more to do with the underlying material, not necessarily the hardware cloth or flashing on outer covers.

So I like the T50 staples, but I don't like replacing staplers. Would love to stick with air.

·
Registered
403 Posts
You can get a wider crown stapler like one used for upholstery work...shoots the same as the narrow crown you have, but with a wider bite. I bought one off Amazon awhile back for some picture frame/panel work I do for a client and have also used it a couple of times for stapling mesh for Professor Dr. SWMBO's bee equipment. Much better than using a manual fire staple gun!

·
Registered
31 Posts
The Arrow T-50 is a pretty rugged stapler designed for the homeowner and contractor alike. If you are breaking them regularly something is not quite right. You do need to match the staple length to the material being stapled and the substrate. It is not designed to secure aluminum to your top covers, and don't expect to drive a 1/2 inch staple into oak or Advantech. The staple will bend, but I don't think the stapler is going to break. I am sorry that I don't have any recommendations for commercial staplers that utilize heavy gauge staples. That seems to be what you need for what you are trying to do.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
If air what Jim in pa said. I even use it for when I wire deep frames. Instead of them dam eyelets.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I use a Meite upholstery pneumatic staple gun for hardware cloth. I have narrow crown pneumatic staplers for working with wood such as assembling frames but the upholstery stapler is wide crown and a lighter gauge staple. I think you will love it for what you want. I think Amazon carries them but other common stapler companies make upholstery staplers also.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts