Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Dovetail joints and TiteBond III glue, then clamp up for 2 -
4 hours ---- no screws, nails or staples. Water clean-up is great. Biggest problem is getting a router bit for 1-inch rough sawn pine with the routing fixture. I have to plane to .912 and use a 7/8ths deep bit bit (little extra extension :) ).

·
Registered
969 Posts
Butt joints and screws, Titebond 2. Only on year 4, but no signs at all of weakening, no flex or wobble. I seal the end grain with glue too, then paint. It's working so far.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I use screws for the boxes. I use 1 1/2 staples for frames. No
glue at all never have seen the need. They stay together fine.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Frame making question...
I don't have a compressor and can not justify buying one that I will never use again. Nor can I spend that kind of money for that and a staple gun.

I don't mind buying a cheap Brad nailer for the frames but will those and Titebond2 work well enough for Deeps and mediums ?

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Sure 2 will work fine. Harbor freight staple gun, with a coupon are around $20

·
Registered
372 Posts
Well, you all made me go to Harbor Freight and buy a compressor and gun to go with it :rolleyes:
Guess I could use it for other things in the future.
20% coupon doesn't apply to compressors :( and you can only use 1 of those coupons a day :( Oh well it was still cheaper then HD or Lowes

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
5,808 Posts
Linda, did you get a frame jig too? Makes doing frames in groups of ten a breeze and keeps them square. I still glue and hand nail all my frames and have close to 1000 now. Figure I will only need 100 deeps per year for nuc sales at this point.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Linda, did you get a frame jig too? Makes doing frames in groups of ten a breeze and keeps them square. I still glue and hand nail all my frames and have close to 1000 now. Figure I will only need 100 deeps per year for nuc sales at this point.
Ok you guys are killing me ! I don't even have room for these and my overboard buying of bodies/frames I just got today from Mann.
Maybe I can make one ?

·
Super Moderator
6,176 Posts
I LOVE my frame jig. Especially keeping things square. I glue and staple and when the frames are done, they're square and tight. I'm a wood / wax person and I pull wire and embed so strong frames are important. I've been stapling frames for years and a good stapler with a jig makes it so easy. Full disclosure, I use lots of air tools. Roofing, siding, framing, finish, etc., so it makes good sense to extend it to beekeeping.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
It’s easy to make one. Make a box that will fit easily inside a frame. When you go to make frames use a bungee cord to hold the ends in place. By wrapping around the box.

·
Super Moderator
5,808 Posts
When assembling the hive bodies or supers, have a framing square handy. Tap the long diagonal against a hard surface until it is square, then hit the nails again. Out of square boxes will cause nothing but problems down the road and you wont know if you don't check.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I got a ratchet strap square and I also have a square ruler. SO I checked for square before Stapling, glue too.
While they are not perfect (because many of the board were warped a bit) they are pretty close.
Don't buy the Budget boxes at Mann, I won't again.

·
Registered
131 Posts
In my view, the satisfaction you get from using your own equipment, and knowing that it's even better than what you can buy, is worth the time and effort right there. The fact that you are generally saving a bit of $$$ on materials is just gravy :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
It seems like everyone goes OCD on this stuff. I use screws..no glue and I never use a square and they do fine.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
In my view, the satisfaction you get from using your own equipment, and knowing that it's even better than what you can buy, is worth the time and effort right there. The fact that you are generally saving a bit of $$$ on materials is just gravy :)
Even if you only think you are saving money it is all good! The value of creative outlet is hard to put on the scale.

·
Super Moderator
5,808 Posts
I agree with Frank that there is a huge amount of satisfaction to be had if one applies a little skill to manufacturing one's own components. I have gotten to the point that the tops, inner covers, and bottom boards I make far surpass the quality of the purched items. These items can be made much more inexpensively than if purchased. With clamps and glue and some "persuasion" I can also get the ML commercial grade boxes thay I buy to submit to my will. In addition to being square, I make sure the boxes sit flat and do not rock. Rocking boxes leave gaps when the hive bodies are stacked.

61 - 80 of 82 Posts