Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
making up new supers wondering what type of staple gun and size staples to use. any comments well appreciated

·
Registered
730 Posts
I use a brad nailer that handles nails from 5/8" up to 1-1/4". It's electric so you don't have to buy the air compressor. It's $50 to $60. I use the 1-1/4" w/ glue for frames, and the 5/8" for the wedges.

Do a search on here. Lots of info.

·
Banned
1,979 Posts
harbor freight sales a 1/4 crown stapler nailer that shoots up to 1 1/2 length staples for $19.00 I have used and abused mine and its still running great.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
I shoot 2.5" 15 guage finish nails in mine. I have a 15 guage stapler, but I like the longer length on the finish nails and it doesn't crush the grain like a staple does. I shoot them at an angle which gives them much greater holding power shooting into endgrain. Angle each one the opposite direction and it pretty effectively locks the joint.

·
Super Moderator
6,176 Posts
I use a Bostitch narrow crown stapler and shoot 1 1/2" staples. i switch to smaller staples for frames.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've been using 1.5" narrow crown staples for frames, and 18 gauge 1.5" brads for the supers (glued in the finger joints). The only reason I use 18 gauge is because that's the size my air nailer/stapler uses. I'm sure some will say that 18 gauge is too small.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I got a Bostitch SX-150 Narrow Crown Pneumatic Stapler for Christmas this past year and it is one of the best toolsI have ever owned. I have only used it on frames and it made short order of those. :)

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
I'm with Ross. Just bought a Campbell Hausfield 2-1/2" nail gun at a pawn shop for $17.00. It really does less damage to the wood in the finger joint area. I'm impressed. It also shoots shorter nails (1-3/4") for frames. Previously had a Hitachi, never missed a beat. Loved it.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Tightbond III glue in conjunction with a "Max" brand pneumatic nailer shooting 3" stainless steel ringshank nails. (I used to use a 3lb sledge hammer to drive similar nails into the boxes). I use the overflow glue to seal the end grain. I also use BetterBee boxes, which are made from 7/8" stock, rather than the standard 3/4" stock. My assembled boxes are rock solid.

I have a few boxes which are the standard 3/4" stock held together with just nails. These 3/4"/nails-only boxes are noticeable less rigid than my glued BetterBee boxes.

I don't paint or otherwise seal my boxes, hence I use the SS nails to avoid rust stains caused by regular nails. Purely an aesthetic consideration.

·
Registered
887 Posts
harbor freight sales a 1/4 crown stapler nailer that shoots up to 1 1/2 length staples for $19.00 I have used and abused mine and its still running great.
I will second this.....I used to build houses for a living, and I have had nail guns of all brands...and these cheap harbor freight guns will hang right with the expensive guns!

1 - 20 of 82 Posts