Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if standing on the concrete in front of the saw makes my fett, or my back hurt more. What do you stand on and where did you get it?

·
Banned
840 Posts
actually, Home Depot also sells the black rubber stand mats for just that purpose (workshop tools)

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I use carpet pad under a vinyl floor runner - both salvaged and recycled into a new use. I also have some of the interlocking soft pads, they really save my heels.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had seen those pad's at lowe's, and thought the quality was suspect, but I will give them a try.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
How my table saw hurts me, is when I stand shirtless in front of the stream of wood particles being ejected by my dado blade. Some of those particles really sting when they hit my bare belly.

God forbid the saw toss the board at your bare belly. I always wear at least a shirt and most of the time an apron. My neighbors Dad died from a board hitting him in the stomach...could it have been avoided, who knows, but maybe a little protection could have made the difference.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I've also stood on a sheet of 3/4 plywood... amazing the difference that made on my legs and back. Since, I've bought those interlocking squares, and love them. It does make all the difference in the world.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Start with a good pair of work boots,soft sole with about a 3/4 heel.
Buy from a place that measures your foot and get the proper width.
Be prepared to spend good money for good footwear.
I've worked on my feet for over 35 yrs and was never comfortable until I found Red Wings 25 yrs ago.
And ditch those sneakers unless you're jogging.

Jack

·
Registered
186 Posts
Am I the only one who thinks Mr. Clemens might a madman?
Am I the only one who thinks we need more like him?

:applause::popcorn::applause:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I always used sawdust to stand on, but when I was able to afford it I bought a horse mat at tractor supply. $60 and can be cut down for use in other parts of shop.:

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Am I the only one who thinks Mr. Clemens might a madman?
Am I the only one who thinks we need more like him?

:applause::popcorn::applause:
stylus,
Thanks for the sentiment, I think. After hearing of the death by lumber to the stomach, I think I'll wear more torso protection in the future. BTW I do wear a full face shield.

·
Registered
518 Posts
God forbid the saw toss the board at your bare belly. I always wear at least a shirt and most of the time an apron. My neighbors Dad died from a board hitting him in the stomach...could it have been avoided, who knows, but maybe a little protection could have made the difference.
I've destroyed 3 rip gates like that, wood always ends up in my ribs. Moral of the story? Buy a real table saw, not a 2 lb harbor freight saw that jumps around.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I've bought a couple of used shopsmiths... table saw, belt sander, disc sander, jointer... amazing all the bee stuff I can make with that used equipment!
Steven

1 - 20 of 21 Posts