Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently stained my observation hive and now I have a whole can left over. I am wondering if it would be okay to stain and polyurethane 20+ queen rearing mini boxes and full size nucs.
Does anyone have an opinion as to why I should not do this. In case someone is wondering, the stain is "wheat" colored and it isn't real dark.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Just as long as you want to repoly them every year or so go right ahead, Way to much maintenance for me. There is basically nothing in a clear coat that will hold up to the uv for more than a year.
David

·
Registered
27 Posts
Stained my first two hives and used exterior door polyurethane three coats looked fabulous. . . in less than a season both already toasted. . unless you want to do it every season I suggest not doing it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I am a woodworker and I agree with both of the posts above me, do not do it unless every year you have the time and energy to sand it, scrape it and reapply it.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I just stained my hives, no poly. They are fading nicely, but the bees or myself don't care! I used a red wood stain that was left behind at my old house. I say go ahead and stain them but don't worry about the poly, just wasting time there!

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I used deck stain for a natural wood look to my hives. Looks good but wasn't as durable as I expected and it needs to be redone every 3 to 4 years. At least you just reapply, though. No scraping or sanding needed.

It is pretty dry here in Colorado, and I am thinking about going with no finish to the wood. Service life for the wooden ware may be just about the same between a good finish and no finish.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I have some hives I stained black and there holding up pretty well. I did not use any polyurethane .
Some are 3 years old and still look great .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts