Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Staging opportunity in exchange for Nucs

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Buck wheat 
#1 ·
Greetings from Rural San Diego

I live in an area of rural San Diego that has been well-respected in the past for producing large amounts of and high-quality honey. I have authentic documentation to prove it. I would like to offer land for the purpose of staging hives in exchange for bees. I can provide a list of fauna and flora as well as pictures and a video if necessary of the parcel. The location of the bee yard is 5 hours south of Kern County and 1.5 hours from Imperial County. We can chat about terms of agreement. PM for details.

#2 ·
Hi! I might be interested in keeping bees there. I have some questions about the deal your offering. How many nucs are you wanting? How many hives do you feel the area can support and is it available year round? Is this a long term deal or only until you get your hive numbers up? Thank you for your time and I look forward from hearing back from you.

#3 ·
Hi beesohappy,

I'll be happy to answer your questions. The details of the contract either short term or long term (5-10 yrs) can be negotiated. However I would like to increase my apiary by at least 100 hives within the next 3-4 years. You do the math. The area that I live in is called Japatul Valley. I'll send you some documentation on type of flora and fauna is in the area. Harbison canyon is located 20 mins from us, named after the famous beekeeper John Harbison. The Shepard Family lives here as well with whom I am good friends with. The family business maintained 2,000 hives here sometime in the 70s-80s. So I know it can be done.
The area has lots of late-blooming buckwheat and desert broom. Lots of it. Forage here is typically year-round. I also have extracting equipment if you need to use it. I just ask for some of the harvest. The area I live in is a bee-haven for a 30-40 mile radius and as far as I know there are no other commercial beekeeping operations. 5 hours from Kern County and 2 hours from Imperial Valley. If staging some hives in Japatul Valley interests you contact me and I'll be happy to answer your questions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.