Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey yall, I went to check the hives today and one hive was stacking on the front of the box quite a bit. I have one brood box and one honey box(I use brood boxes for super because I'm still young and dumb enough to pick them up.) I looked and there were no swarm cells or supercedures. There are atleast 3 empty frames on top and none of the frames are completely capped. No pests in or around the hive and i haven't had excessive mites. And the temperature was around 67 deg.
I can't figure a reason for the stacking. Any ideas?
Thanks
Robert

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
The most common term is "bearding". My guess without knowing what is on the frames for bee numbers is that they may be getting a bit crowded. We dont know whether they are young colonies or fully established. Splits I made this year are on your equivalent comb area but overwinter are occupying a fair bit more volume than that and still bearding a fair bit. I have destroyed cells a few times on them.

Someone familiar with your area will have a better feel for what you need in the way of supers.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,536 Posts
may also be an air flow issue, do you use Screened Bottom Board or top entrance?
Keep an eye on it, may develop into something may not.

GG

1 - 3 of 3 Posts