Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I built 4 of the "Easy Nuc Plans" nucs a few weeks ago. I went ahead and put the bottoms on them and cut two 2" holes covered with #8 hardware cloth for ventilation. The bottoms were glued and brad nailed. If I were to remove the hardware cloth from the 2 ventilation holes, do you think I could stack one on top of the other. I have a hive I may have put too many nurse bees in and brought home with me. My bee yard is 125 miles away. It would be 10 deep frames. Five on the bottom and five on top. I just need to give them more room in a few days. This would also help get some more drawn comb built. If the queen ends up there and has brood, I may split them. This was done to supply bees for my Ulster OB hive for school and Sunday school classes for the month of April and first part of May.

Mark

·
Registered
831 Posts
I don't see why you couldn't stack them on top of each other. Do you mean two seperate colonies stacked on top of each other, or do you mean placing another nuc body on top of a single colony? Either way will work. The bees will use the holes where the screen was removed for entrances.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I have stacked two 5 frames nucs before. They are not as stable and the wind could cause problems. I had two that were two high and I put a board across the top between the two with some bricks on it for stability, but it works fine.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It would be one hive. I would just be adding an upstairs apartment. I wasn't sure if the holes and 85% floor +/- would be a problem. They have the migratory type covers so the bottom of the top hive would not be any different than the cover. I think I can sink two electric fence posts on both sides and tie them together for added security from turning over.

Mark

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Leaving your bottom board on the upper nuc that would be the upstairs for the bottom nuc would be a problem.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do have ventilation holes in the bottoms with #8 wire mesh. I was hoping the bees would go through these holes without the mesh to get up in the upper box.
The bee space below the bottom would be the same as the lid. It would just have the holes for access to the top box.

Mark

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
The bees will go through the holes but the rest of the bottom(inbetween) board will be a barrier for the normal clustering and movement of bees. Try it and see what happens.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The queens pheromones may not be dispersed enough for the hive to be cohesive with the partial barrier. I may need to create larger openings in the bottom board.

Mark

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I don't think the queen pheremones will be the issue. The issue is you will have a barrier inside the hive. The bees will go through the 2" holes and place honey in the top box. You won't kill them leaving the barrier. I'm just saying they would be better without it there. If you have a 10 frame box just put them in there so they can expand better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts