Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to learn to raise my own queens using five frame nucs stacked. How many frames of bees are needed to produce 6 or 8 good queen cells? I tried the cloake method. I built a cloake board to fit a five frame nuc, and cut down an excluder. I let the bees use what ever larvae they chose, I did not graft. The stack was 4 five frames mediums high and I condensed them down to 3 high, and took away all the unsealed brood except for the frame they were to build cells on. I was disappointed they only made 2 cells. Both made nice queens that lay a good pattern. Any advice on improving the number of cells produced?
Ben

·
Registered
4 Posts
I used a cloake board and two five frame, deep nucs as a cell builder this past spring. It worked very well. I did have to add nurse bees to keep it strong and I grafted my larva but managed to turn out good cells every time. I am going to continue to use this method next year. I do not have but about 20 hives so this keeps me from tearing up too many hives for the 10 frame stuff.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm going to try my nuc cell builder again during the fall goldenrod flow and crowd the bees more to see if I can get more cells built.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts