Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

2081 - 2100 of 2105 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Re: squarepeg 2015-2019 treatment free experience

"would 20 to 1 using 1 quart bleach be "enough" "too much" - sounds about right :) I bleach and put in the sun after insuring the comb is clear of honey and beebread / pollen using a warm water spray. I typically soak for an hour or so, sun for two days or more.

Ps, sometimes I use wood bleach too - really!

·
Super Moderator
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,085
sincere thanks for the kind words david.

it will be interesting to see how these next few months play out.

·
Super Moderator
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,087
amen to that david.

what's left of me would not be worth much were it not for the encouragement of you and others.

many thanks to all for that. hopefully i'll be able to pay it forward someday.

·
Super Moderator
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,088
update:

i would first like to extend well wishes to everyone following the thread with hope that you and yours are remaining safe and healthy as we slog through the pandemic and all that it entails.

thankfully we are well here and life goes on. our governor's orders have kept me home from the day job for going on a month now. in the mean time i have been able to make a round or two through what's left of my apiaries.

wintering went pretty well with 7 out of the 8 hives in my possession making it through. the one loss previously reported on 03/01/20 in my post #2072 appeared most likely due to queen failure.

the first two hives were inspected about 3 weeks ago at what i had been referring to as my 'overflow yard'. this was the only yard out of three that did not experience efb last year. these were my strongest colonies having close to 2 ten frame deeps worth of bees each. i split the out the queens from these two using 'artificial swarm' or 'cut down split' method thereby increasing the hive count by 2.

the next two hives i checked were donated late 2019 splits, one from our very own fusion_power and the other from a 20+ year tf friend residing in the next county over. both of these looked good coming in at about ten deep frames worth of bees. both of these had nice solid healthy brood patterns, and dar's was even making good progress building new comb down from starter strips on foundationless frames.

the next two hives were 'recovered' from efb after terramycin treatment last year. by recovered i mean that the brood patterns returned to normal and there were no visible sick larvae after treatment. these did not produce harvestable honey last year but were able to put up enough stores for overwintering.

i found that efb had rebloomed in both of these with less than 10% brood making it to capping stage and they had dwindled to less than a few deep frames worth of bees. I euthanized both by shaking the bees into a bucket of soapy water, decreasing the hive count by 2, and burned all frames containing brood and beebread. there was about 1 medium super worth of honey that i'll extract, and then wash and bleach those frames along with the other frames with empty comb.

the last hive was also one that was treated last year with terramycin and was situated right in between the previous two described above. this one was weak with only about 5 deep frames worth of bees, but there were almost 3 deep frames worth of mostly capped brood having a fairly solid pattern. there were no eggs or uncapped larvae, and a single queen cell showing recent emergence. i did see what i believe was the new virgin queen appearing long and thin as if not mated and laying yet. i closed this one back up and will check back in a couple of weeks.

i've set out 4 swarm traps in the general area, and thanks to the generosity of neighbors i've secured permission to locate hives on several more properties. all of the new sites are located on a circular route that i can drive in less than 30 minutes. the plan is to forgo honey production, split aggressively, and build back up perhaps to 20 or so hives again, locating no more that 3 or 4 hives per yard.

many thanks again for all the well wishes from the forum, to dar and my friend for the 2 donated hives, and to all of you following for the continued interest. as of this post the hive count remains at 7.

·
Super Moderator
5,778 Posts
Thanks for the update SP. It sounds like you are back in control and you have enough healthy colonies to meet your goal. Truly a shame the two hives did not remain EFB free after the treatment. At least you caught it before it spread.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
I, too, am happy to hear your apiary is gaining strength again. Hopefully it will be a good year for us all.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
i would first like to extend well wishes to everyone following the thread with hope that you and yours are remaining safe and healthy as we slog through the pandemic and all that it entails.

thankfully we are well here and life goes on.
Thank you for the well wishes, and I'm glad you are well.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
SP;

It seems that strain of EFB you lucked into is particularly persistent. I sure hope you see the end of it with those two hives.

·
Registered
11,104 Posts
the next two hives were 'recovered' from efb after terramycin treatment last year. by recovered i mean that the brood patterns returned to normal and there were no visible sick larvae after treatment. these did not produce harvestable honey last year but were able to put up enough stores for overwintering.

i found that efb had rebloomed in both of these
Sorry to hear that, however that is very useful information for the rest of us. Not a disease to be trifled with.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
many thanks again for all the well wishes from the forum, to dar and my friend for the 2 donated hives, and to all of you following for the continued interest. as of this post the hive count remains at 7.
squarepeg:

I am truly glad you are back on stable footing and now can hopefully begin looking forward to a growing apiary.

Kudos to fusion_power for spotting you a couple colonies- maybe he'll make you into a square Dadant proponent!

·
Super Moderator
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,096
a long time (24 years) treatment free friend of mine who resides in the next county over called me up and said he had an extra 15 ripe queen cells looking for a good home.

he didn't have to ask twice.

i had a double 10 frame medium hive with 9 frames in each body that i went to for my first splits. this one started out as an artificial swarm i made up with five medium frames of capped brood and the queen split out of my strongest hive on march 27.

all 18 frames were covered with bees today with about 10 frames having capped brood. the queen was gone and there were a few supercedure cells already capped. i made up 6 strong five frame medium nucs from this one double medium hive.

it was perfect timing for those queen cells. they were nice and long having been produced during our peak flow. hopefully most of them will get mated.

the additional 13 frames given to the artificial swarm were drawn comb that i had washed and bleached after removing it from efb infected hives last year. so far so good on that deal.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
a long time (24 years) treatment free friend of mine who resides in the next county over called me up and said he had an extra 15 ripe queen cells looking for a good home.
That's what I call a good friend- glad to read that you are off to the races and well along your way of being back up to 20 colonies by year's-end.

Russ

·
Registered
654 Posts
Cool beans squarepeg. You need any help?

·
Super Moderator
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,100
i appreciate that t.

not much anyone can do at this point other than cross all fingers and all toes that the queens get mated.

the last hive remaining that had efb last year was found rebloomed as of last weekend and was summarily burned.

that makes a 100% loss of two yards having 12 hives each starting last year about this time and ending last week. efb sucks.

all that's left are the 2 hives from the 'overflow yard' and the splits that i've made from them this year, along with a late 2019 split i acquired from the 24 yr tf friend last fall.

unfortunately fusion_power's gifted hive caught efb from the one mentioned above and had to be burned as well. i'm truly sorry about that dar.

hive count = 10 at this time, 4 of which have laying queens with the other 6 in the process of getting a queen mated.

to be honest the cv19 has thrown me for a huge loop with regards to the day job and i really haven't had much time to even think about bees.

2081 - 2100 of 2105 Posts