Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have been beekeeping for a few years now and are still learning things about how to better take care of our hives. Are current issue is that one hive has a lot of spur-comb in a hive. We were wondering if we should leave it alone or if it needs to be removed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We have been beekeeping for a few years now and are still learning things about how to better take care of our hives. Are current issue is that one hive has a lot of spur-comb in a hive. We were wondering if we should leave it alone or if it needs to be removed.
I remove it as best I can because if I leave it, eventually it gets to be a real problem and makes inspections difficult and upsetting to the bees.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Welcome to Beesource. I suggest you edit your profile to identify your location, and make sure you take into account the location of any responders. If I were to follow the lead of someone from Florida, Texas, or even Rhode Island today, my North Dakota bees (3F, Blizzard warning) would not survive.

Your “burr” comb should be removed to eliminate future complications, and it can be turned into nice wax. I maintain a sealed burr comb can at each apiary, which also prevents ants/critters being attracted to comb left in the surrounding grass.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts