Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two hives that came through winter with plenty of stores and bees but appear queenless. They have no brood when my other hives have brood, and they act queenless. They were bouncing off my veil like mad, very jumpy flying up off the frames at the least touch. I looked for a queen with no luck. I figured I will unite them with queen rite hives to save the bees and honey and split them later, but I have never done this in the spring before. I am going to do the newspaper thing. Any problems with this that I don't know about?
Thanks
Bill S

·
Registered
887 Posts
they could be weak with food....and not brooding up because of lack of stores.....give them some syrup and see if she starts laying first!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They have lots of honey and pollen.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Give them each a frame of day old eggs from your other hives. Check back three or four days later. Hope you have drones flying. OMTCW

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Seems a little early (cool) in NY to be trying this kind of hive manipulation. I am surprised it is even warm enough to be going that deep into the brood nest to check for brood or a queen. I don't generally do that much hive disturbing until the maples and dandelions are blooming and dats are consistently in the 50's. More often than not if I wait a little while the queen makes her presence known.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hilreal,
No drones yet. That would be great if if there were. it was 62 here when I checked. I'm giving them a week. Next week is going to be warm. By the way TCW are always welcome :)
Bill S

·
Registered
887 Posts
I would wait a week....you say they have plenty of stores. If you have open brood to spare in another hive, it won't hurt to give them a frame and see what they do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts