Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are everybody else's bees pissy in the early spring before the nectar flow? I work in short sleeves and a veil with no gloves most of the year, but I seem to always find myself being chased back to my truck for my jacket and gloves this time of year. Seems to last up until the nectar starts flowing in earnest, then they are back to civil until winter. They don't even get too grumpy during the late summer/early fall dearth.

Is this everyone's experience or just mine?

·
Registered
708 Posts
I mostly inspect my bees without any protective clothing, including no veil. My hives are very gentle. However, last week the bees were flying I was simply standing near the hives checking them out when I was attacked by several bees and stung under the eye. I carried a veil with me next time I went to look at them but didn't need it this time.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I mostly inspect my bees without any protective clothing, including no veil. My hives are very gentle. However, last week the bees were flying I was simply standing near the hives checking them out when I was attacked by several bees and stung under the eye. I carried a veil with me next time I went to look at them but didn't need it this time.
I learned there is ALWAYS some rogue bee around that wants to sting my face, so I always wear a veil.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I always wear a veil too. Learned the hard way when i got popped in the nose. By far the most painful sting I have ever had. Felt like someone punched me in the nose.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
5,793 Posts
Checked all 23 hives yesterday for pollen patty stores. Temps were 50°F and falling around 4:30 when I got home. Most of the girls just looked at me me but one hive got pretty upset. Got a lot of bumps from that one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts