Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
One of my queens just died or swarmed. I checked two weeks ago and all was fine and then I checked yesterday and no eggs, larvae and there were two capped queen cells on the same frame. I don't think they would have swarm this early?? Trying to figure out the best approach from here. Should I try to order another queen so she can start laying right away or should I just let hive raise their own queen? The queen was never really prolific so I'm tempted to cutout the queen cells and order another one. I think that the capped queen cells are about 12-15 days old.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Michael Bush

So you would suggest just letting the hive rear a new queen as opposed to buying one? Thanks for your help on this.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
I don't disagree with MB, but I have a different perspective since my hive just went queenless after a failed supersedure in February. If you can find someone to ship you a queen now, I'd do that. My hive hatched out a queen in Feb, but there were no drones for her to mate with. They also built 2 queen cells which I was banking on to replace her, but just yesterday, the bees chewed into the sides of them, killing the larvae. Now I have no eggs to make a new queen, even though I have drones. If your original queen was only "ok", why keep those genetics?

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>So you would suggest just letting the hive rear a new queen as opposed to buying one?

It is the time of year for you when things are a still a bit "iffy." Here it would be a "for sure" they would not have drones. It's your call. I prefer local genetics. Bought queens are often rejected and that is if you can find one. I certainly wouldn't go destroying queen cells until you have a queen in hand.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another option would be to take a frame of eggs from a hive whose queen is good and put it in the queen-less hive - then cut out the queen cells? That would give her a little more time so more drones could be present.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have checked a few hives for the last few days and I have not seen a drone cell. I'll admit I didn't dig deep into the brood nest. when I saw brood would close it up unless it needed to be rearanged. All brood I saw was worker brood. I'm just a few miles east of you and wouldn't feel good about a queen getting mated. Neither would I know where you could get a queen right now. You might call John Seaborn to see if he has any in Ga.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts